Hook Arts Media is seeking an experienced young adult Workforce Development Coach for its Digital Connections/Film Fellows program.
Hook Arts Media’s Digital Connections Film Fellows program is our most advanced film production program. It will provide advanced film production training, workforce readiness training, internship placements, and post-program job placements within NYC’s media and entertainment industry to eight Film Fellows. It is designed expressly for the purpose of eliminating barriers to employment and to establish a pipeline of low-income young adults with technical and academic skills to employment in the NYC media industry.
This program will:
- Provide advanced training designed to nurture the skills of young adults as media creators and educators.
- Build links between participants and employers in the media/tv/film and media education industries.
- Provide future positions within Hook Arts Media’s media education programs for program graduates.
- Provide additional training and mentorship in workforce readiness.
- The Workforce Development Coach will work closely with the Digital Connections Lead Media Educator to design and implement a 430-hour program that runs from August 2021 through February 2022.
Tasks and Responsibilities include:
- Work with trainees building a trusting relationship that yields outcomes in their confidence and competence using consistent engagement.
- Promote responsible and healthy physical and mental decision-making.
- Manages progress by evaluating trainees’ achievements; sharing with administrative staff and trainees in order to make positive decisions and correct behaviors as needed.
- Develop leadership, teamwork, and self-advocacy skills with trainees by encouraging the development of positive relationships and assisting them in the development of self-advocacy skills, initiative, and accountability.
- Regularly engages trainees through face-to-face contacts, in office, telephone, social networking, e-mail, etc.
- Work with Lead Media Educator and HAM Film Advisory Board to identify and connect Trainees with internship opportunities.
- Provide support designed to train young adults to enter the workforce, including resume building, interviewing, time management, communication skills, setting goals, and meeting deadlines.
- Assessing work performance once trainees are placed in internships, including consistent communication with the internship site supervisor.
- Track trainees’ attendance and progress as required by NYS Dept. of Labor including attendance, skill acquisition, as well as other data collection as needed.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3+ years of experience in the following areas of youth development:
- Previous experience in training young adults in workforce readiness.
- Proven commitment to social justice and equity, particularly relating to underserved and under-resourced populations.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Proficient in the use of computer technology primarily Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Suite, Zoom.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to design and implement innovative programs with strong attention to individual needs.
- Experience in young adult education and career exploration with a working knowledge of online learning tools – teaching style must be hands-on, interactive, and participatory (not lecture-based).
- Experience in arts education/film/social justice issues a plus.
August 2021- February 2022 for approximately 13 hrs per week, for $30-$32/hour. To be considered, please include your resume with at least 2 references and a cover letter in the application form on our website.