The Joyce Theater Foundation is committed to fostering and supporting a diverse and inclusive environment, both on and off stage. We embrace and celebrate diversity in all its forms, and value the rich experiences and perspectives that arise from differences in race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and cognitive and physical ability.
- 5+ years of hands-on theatrical/dance technical experience, with an emphasis on stage operations, rigging and carpentry. Electrics, sound, and video/projections knowledge are a plus.
- Strong organizational, communication and scheduling skills.
- Experience in advancing productions.
- Experience in supervising show operations.
- Experience working with and supervising IATSE stagehands (and an understanding of collective bargaining agreements).
- Precise record keeping skills.
- Working knowledge of computers, Mac and PC.
- Proficiency with Vectorworks and Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) are a must.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. and stay on your feet most of the workday.
- Ability to ascend/descend stairs multiple times a day between the office and the performance space.
- FDNY certification within 3 months of hire:
- F03 – Indoor Place of Assembly Safety Personnel
- S95 – Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems and Other Related Systems
- Bilingual in French and/or Spanish a plus.
The Technical Director reports to the Director of Production.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
GENERAL DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Overseeing onstage operations and managing full-time (IATSE) and over-hire stage crew in conjunction with the Lighting Supervisor.
- Assisting the Director of Production in gathering production information and requirements from incoming companies, and determining how to facilitate their needs.
- Assisting the Director of Production with determining the appropriate number of crew needed for work calls during engagements and maintenance.
- Send work offers to over-hire crew for work calls and coverage needs as specified by the Director of Production.
- Sharing performance supervision responsibilities with the Lighting Supervisor.
- Distributing pertinent technical information of the resident (or incoming) company to the crew.
RECORD-KEEPING DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Creating and maintaining accurate show records, company files, house crew files, and over-hire call list.
- Maintaining, and creating as needed, accurate inventories of all stage equipment and supplies, and advising the Director of Production of purchase and repair needs.
- Maintaining accurate specifications of the theater/stage.
Due to the theater’s extremely busy schedule (typically 48 performance weeks per season, averaging 38-42 engagements/companies per season), the Technical Director must be able to work quickly and efficiently to serve the needs of visiting companies in a polite and helpful manner. The daily working schedule involves long hours and may be inconsistent from week to week (it includes nights, weekends, and holidays). The Technical Director must always ensure that the work onstage is done in the safest environment possible and to the high standards of The Joyce Theater. The Technical Director will work with the Director of Production, Lighting Supervisor and Facilities Manager to ensure the proper upkeep of the backstage area. In the absence of the Director of Production, the Technical Director and Lighting Supervisor will be fully responsible for the smooth running of the production department.
Compensation: Exempt Salary of $65,000+ plus full benefits package
TO APPLY: Visit https://joycetheatresystem.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21