THE BOTTOM LINE:
CO/LAB Theater Group seeks new Teaching Artists to create and lead theater workshops for individuals with developmental disabilities. We are looking to hire multiple individuals to join our Teaching Artist roster. New team members would begin onboarding and work with CO/LAB in August 2021.
CO/LAB Theater Group is committed to creating an inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our organizational values state “All Are Welcome” at CO/LAB—applicants of all races, religions, gender identities or expressions, familial statuses, sexual orientations, ages, or disabilities are highly encouraged to apply. We are committed to continually diversifying our team and we aim to include new voices and experiences to our work.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS EXCITED TO JUMP ON BOARD AND:
- Team-teach workshops and residencies in theater – specific class content varies but can include devised theater, improv, musical theater, puppetry, and more. Many of our programs also culminate in a final sharing or performance – Teaching Artists are responsible for guiding show content and overall direction, in conjunction with CO/LAB programming staff. Teaching a class includes:
- Facilitating the pre-class Supporting Artist (in-class volunteer) meeting ○ Overseeing the setup and breakdown of studio space
- Leading the class with your team TA
- Managing safety of the classroom and participants
- Carrying out administrative duties including emails, class logs, attendance, materials prep, and show coordination
- Create semester curriculum and individual lesson plans with your TA partner
- Attend regular check-in meetings with the Programming staff, mandatory Teaching Artist meetings throughout the year (calendar varies by season), and 1+ Professional Development session per semester
- Represent CO/LAB in communication with parents/caregivers, partners, and various groups on behalf of CO/LAB
WE’RE HOPING YOU CAN SAY YES TO ALL OR MOST OF THE FOLLOWING:
- I have experience and/or education in teaching theater in a classroom or community setting. Experience with the disability community is a plus, but not required!
- I have experience in one or more art forms and am excited about creatively incorporating these art forms into CO/LAB curricula.
- I am a confident leader in the classroom and have an understanding of how to cater to many different styles of learning.
- I have outstanding communication skills, both for in-class and administrative purposes.
- I am flexible and open; I can adapt and respond to participant needs in the room and creatively problem-solve unexpected curveballs.
- I am reliable and professional, both in and outside the classroom.
- I love to collaborate with an ensemble and I work well in a team teaching dynamic.
- I am a kind, warm-hearted human and believe I can foster joy in the classroom.
- I am passionate about the mission of CO/LAB and am committed to upholding the mission.
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS JOB:
- This is a part-time position and schedule will fluctuate throughout the season. We are looking to hire people specifically with daytime and weekend availability.
- The position reports to the Director of Programming.
- Teaching Artists are paid hourly for facilitation at a rate of $65 per hour and receive additional payments for lesson planning, curriculum creation, and attendance at meetings, events, and professional development sessions.
- CO/LAB Theater Group is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing Creative Opportunities without Limits And Boundaries. CO/LAB offers individuals with developmental disabilities a creative and social outlet through theater arts. Through our programming, we encourage actors to collaborate as an ensemble and discover their individual voices. CO/LAB creates a safe, judgment-free, and neuro-diverse environment that allows participants the opportunity to express themselves both in class and on stage. We seek to honor and celebrate every individual. CO/LAB aims to offer financially accessible programs to all.
- We recommend perusing our website and social media channels to find out more about our team and our work!
TELL ME HOW TO APPLY:
- Please fill out an application and provide materials at www.colabtheatergroup.com/teachingartist by July 14th. Late submissions will not be considered. If you need any support in applying, please email us at email@example.com .
- Select applicants will be invited to attend an in-person audition and info session with CO/LAB Staff and participants. Interested applicants must be available for at least one of these sessions. Auditions will take place in midtown Manhattan on
○ Monday July 26th 5pm-8pm
○ Wednesday July 28th 2pm-5pm