Marquis Studios is currently accepting applications from highly skilled and engaging Teaching Artists with experience working with PRE-K-12 populations.
About Marquis Studios
Founded In 1977, Marquis Studios provides a full spectrum of arts experiences in over 140 schools in all 5 boroughs of NYC. Marquis Studios directly serves 25,000 children each year. These programs are designed to integrate arts activities with instruction in academic core subjects by aligning with state and city standards. Our planning process is individualized for each residency, in-school or remotely, with the Teaching Artists and classroom Teachers meeting to discuss the educational goals of each residency before developing the curriculum. Not just a one-time program, Marquis Studios involves the entire school community through professional development for school staff and family workshops to create sustainable arts integration. (Website – www.marquisstudios.org)
Marquis Studios Teaching Artists lead in-school residencies, after-school residencies, and workshops for Pre-K –12 participants in public schools throughout New York City. Teaching Artists are responsible for creating engaging and educational lessons, while working collaboratively with classroom teachers and students throughout their assigned residencies. Each residency results in a culminating event or sharing that demonstrates skills that students have developed while participating in the program.
We are currently accepting applications for Teaching Artists with experience in:
- Music – Percussion, Vocal music & Chorus
- Visual Arts – Mixed media, Ceramics, Painting, Drawing, etc.
- Theater/Writing – Devised Theater, Storytelling & Spoken Word Poetry
- Multi-media – Filmmaking, Photography and Animation
- Architecture – Model Building & Digital Architecture
- Dance – Hip-Hop, African, Bollywood, Bhangra, and other Cultural Dances
Duties & Responsibilities
- In-school and after-school availability – Teaching Artist’s must be available for a minimum of two full days per week.
- Occasional availability to facilitate 90-minute workshops on weekday afternoons or Saturday mornings. Workshops are assigned based on the availability provided by Teaching Artists.
- Creating original curriculum that aligns with city and state arts standards, school curriculum, and reflects the voice of Marquis Studios residencies.
- Working closely with classroom teachers and specific school administrators before the residency begins to:
- Outline a plan for the assigned 10-week program, discuss culminating event expectations and programming scheduled.
- Working with students to:
- Engage, enrich, and empower young creative artists of all abilities.
- Develop critical thinking skills and social emotional learning.
- Expand arts literacy through cultural and community connections highlighting marginalized voices.
- Meeting specific professional development requirements which includes, Bi-annual PD’S, discipline specific meetings, and pursuing personal professional development opportunities.
- Completing administrative tasks by assigned deadline (workshop logs, reporting hours, permission slip collection, etc.)
Ideal qualities / skill set:
- Experience working with District 75 populations and Inclusion classrooms.
- Experience meeting programming and administrative deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact authentically with diverse populations.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Effective multitasking, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or proven experience working in K-12 classrooms.
- A minimum of two years teaching arts programming to Pre-K-12 students. Artists must display expertise in arts discipline of interest through educational and professional accomplishments.
- Ability to create innovative lessons and successfully integrate State Standards and NYC Blueprints for Teaching and Learning in the Arts. Experience developing and teaching STEAM-based residencies a plus.
- Experience facilitating virtual programming or willingness to learn.
- Ability to create stage performances or mount exhibits within 10 – 12 weeks.
- Experience implementing classroom management strategies.
- Availability to facilitate year-long programming.
- Flexibility to travel throughout the 5 boroughs – STATEN ISLAND TRAVEL & CAR A PLUS.
BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH MARQUIS STUDIOS
- Pay ranges from $170-$359 per residency day.
- Supportive and organized administrative staff.
- Placements in programs ranging from 3hrs – 6.5hrs per day.
- Stipend for facilitating planning meetings and creating lessons.
- Paid professional development and opportunities to visit and observe TA’s from various disciplines.
- Paid travel and a bonus for teaching at distance schools, located within the five boroughs.
Marquis Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to seeking a diverse staff with respect to gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, class, educational background, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. All applicants are welcome.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and résumé to Jobs@marquisstudios.org with the subject line “Teaching Artist – Add discipline”. No calls, please. Applications for the 2021 – 2022 school year, should be submitted by, Wednesday, August 25th.