About Creative Art Works
Creative Art Works (“CAW”) is a 34-year-old nonprofit that empowers young people through the visual and multimedia arts. Working in underserved NYC neighborhoods and institutions, CAW provides dynamic, creative youth development for those who would otherwise lack access. Our programs equip children, teens, and young adults with essential life skills, connect them with communities, academic success and career opportunities, and inspire them to reach for new possibilities.
As part of the CAW’s leadership team, the Program Director will provide stewardship and vision for the program department. Through a deep understanding of transformative arts education, he/she will oversee a dynamic portfolio of cultural partnerships in four core programs: Public Art Youth Employment, In-School Programs, Out-of-School Time Programs, and Community Art- Making Programs. Through program evaluation and professional development of staff and teaching artists, the Program Director will deepen the impact of CAW’s programs in the lives of the youth and communities it serves.
- Establish and communicate mission-driven short and long-term goals for department.
- Develop systems and practices to measure, analyze, and improve efficacy of programs.
- Coach and support program staff including Program Manager of Operations, PM of Teaching & Learning, and Program Coordinator.
- Continue to develop and elevate a cohesive cohort of Teaching Artists through communication of expectations, recruitment of experienced educators, and oversight of professional development and evaluation.
- Oversee programmatic focus on Creative Youth Development inclusive of social-emotional learning and transferrable skill-building.
- Collaborate with ED and Director of Development to assess and enhance program sustainability by extending existing range of funding sources and partnerships.
- Build and nurture long-term relationships with CAW partners and develop new relationships with governmental agencies and CBOs, including planning and forecasting such developments into future fiscal years.
- Develop and implement research-based, innovative approaches to responsive programming including extensions of digital and remote learning.
- Strategically deepen and potentially widen the breadth of CAW program portfolio inclusive of specific vulnerable youth populations.
Management and Operations
- Oversee all program operations including site controls, safety protocols, contractual compliance, and adherence to partner and industry-standard regulations.
- Oversee youth-led culminating events, presentations, unveilings, and art exhibitions.
- Collaborate with development and communications staff to effectively utilize metrics and build financial support, comply with grant/governmental regulations and reporting, and increase public awareness of the organization and its impact.
- Oversee individual and overall program budgets and ensure systems of fidelity.
- Maintain and enhance current evaluation tools for Teaching Artist performance, youth experience and learning, and community partner satisfaction.
- Minimum 8-10 years relevant management experience, including program direction, team leadership, and partnership development in arts and culture and/or education.
- Extensive experience in classroom instruction, curriculum development, and coaching/professional development for teachers.
- Outstanding written, verbal and presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong skills in a Mac environment, MS Suite including Word and Excel.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Master’s in Arts Education or Fine Arts strongly preferred. Demonstrated relevant equivalency will be considered.
- Ability to tackle emerging challenges and balance conflicting priorities with a collaborative, creative, and strategic approach.
- Clearance in NYC’s Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS) a must.
- Occasional weekend work.
- Competitive salaries based on experience.
- Generous time-off and leave policies.
- Comprehensive medical plan for employees and families.
- Commuter benefits, flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k) Savings Plan.
CAW, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to staff diversity, and strongly encourages applications from people of color. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
Please send a cover letter, resume to email@example.com, with “[Your Name]: Program Director” in the subject line.