Upper Manhattan Forest Kids (UMFK) seeks a Part-Time Outdoor Music Class Facilitator to work with us during our 2021 Spring Season and beyond. This Facilitator will partner directly with the multi-racial co-founders to implement lesson plans in UMFKs current curricula. Work is entirely outdoors for the duration of each 2-hour class in all types of weather (excluding extreme cold and wind).
- Provide direct instruction using the UMFK curriculum to an assigned group of 5 to 8 children during class days on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.
- Model generosity and patience to children.
- Maintain attendance log for assigned group.
- Maintain observation and class review logs for the group.
- Lead and encourage projects and activities that encourage outdoor exploration and musical education.
- Encourage students to positively participate in all programming and activities.
- Work and communicate consistently with Co-Founders to ensure program participants are progressing and completely satisfied.
- Continually investigate best practices through your own professional development in topics such as child development, outdoor education, environmental studies, musical education, and pedagogy.
- Assist in maintaining educational gear and supplies.
- Attend compensated training sessions.
- Minimum of two years’ professional experience working with children. Substantial volunteer work will be considered.
- Basic understanding of music theory.
- Basic solfege skills.
- Musical performance experience. Performance experience with children a plus.
- Minimum of two years of anti-racism practice or lived experience in the struggle for racial equity (book knowledge is not superior to lived knowledge).
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education, music education, child development, environment, anti-racism, and social equity.
- Able to work Wednesday and Thursday afternoons outdoors.
- Able to fulfill duties that require a high level of physical activity, including walking/hiking, crouching, climbing, etc.
- Able to spend an additional hour on admin work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as problem-solving skills.
- Strong proficiency in Google Drive and Office applications (docs, sheets, slides).
- Willingness to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Desire to work in a flexible start-up environment.
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Artists and creative thinkers welcome!
- Bilingual/Multilingual is a plus.
UMFK (uppermanhattanforestkids.com) has been leading outdoor classes based on the Danish model of forest school in New York’s green spaces for the last four years. We believe in pushing the literal boundaries in NYC education such that young people are supported in creating visionary futures for themselves and our world.
Interested applicants are requested to apply immediately by emailing a cover letter and CV/résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.