Drama Desk Award-winning TADA! Youth Theater actively seeks a BIPOC Music/Vocal Director for its upcoming programming during the 2020-2021 year. Founded in 1984, TADA! Youth Theater inspires young people from different backgrounds to be creative, learn, and think differently through high-quality musical theater productions, and educational programs. TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well, we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
The Resident Youth Ensemble of TADA! (RYET) is a diverse (75% BIPOC), free, year-round pre-professional training and positive youth development program with youth ages 8-18 from all over New York City’s 5 boroughs and parts of New Jersey.
An ideal candidate will have experience working with youth and teens in a theatrical capacity. We’re looking for a number of candidates who have strong vocal director (both individual and group harmonies) abilities, are excellent pianists, and/or are strong vocal coaches who can play. Cast members will have a variety of experience and abilities and the Musical/Vocal Director needs to be comfortable working with them and getting the best out of each cast member. Applicants should have a passion for and love working with youth, have a lot of energy, and be a great communicator and collaborator with young people and adults.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing private lessons
- Conducting warm-ups
- Teaching young actors vocal scores and harmonies, many of which do not read music.
- Accompanying rehearsals
- Transposing music to meet the performers’ abilities when necessary
- Creatively driving the musical aspects of the show or lessons
- Recruiting, scheduling, and rehearsing a band for performances
- Playing piano and conducting for performances and/or special events
- Giving notes to young actors throughout rehearsals and the run of performances
This is a part-time hourly or part-time salaried position depending on the project. For voice lessons we pay $40 for 30/minutes and for the Musical/Vocal Director on a Production we pay a weekly salary of $500 – $600/week depending on the specific schedule of the Musical.
Commitment: Various hours to be mutually agreed upon with RYET members and staff.
- Private vocal lessons are ongoing and begin again in January.
- For Productions: March-May, May-July. General rehearsal hours are 4:00-7:00pm Wednesdays/Thursdays, 4:00-8:00pm Fridays, and 12:00-6:00pm Saturdays. Until it is safe to do otherwise, all lessons and rehearsals are conducted on Zoom. We hope to return to theater in March with some live socially distant rehearsals and tech. The productions will be recorded live without an audience and then streamed for the public.
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of our vastly diverse youth in our Ensemble program. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. Candidates from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Applicants should email their cover letter and resume with references to Janine Nina Trevens, Producing Artistic Director/Executive Director, for consideration, email@example.com. No phone calls please.