Actionplay, a neuroinclusive theatre nonprofit, is looking for a Music Director. Actionplay’s signature program, the Action-Improv Musical Series (AIMS), is an inclusive improvisational music and theatre residency program for autistic, neurodivergent, and disabled teens and adults. AIMS performers, in collaboration with Actionplay’s artistic team, create original pieces about their unique interests and passions in a supportive space. The goal of this program is to encourage greater confidence, increase communication and social skills, and provide the awesome experience of performing an original musical. In Actionplay’s other core initiative, the Actionplay Chorus, participants work on performing preexisting songs as an ensemble, performing publicly 2-5 times throughout the year.
The Music Director will be a crucial member of the Actionplay team, creating and collaborating on the songs for the AIMS show and leading rehearsals for the Actionplay Chorus. Being directly involved in the creative process leading up to the final performance(s), they will work alongside Aaron Feinstein, Actionplay’s Executive Director and Founder, and Jackson Tucker-Meyer, AIMS/Chorus Program Manager. In AIMS rehearsals, they will welcome participants into the room with music, they will write songs based on the ideas and improvisations of the participants, and occasionally lead a musical improv session, or arrange a song written by a participant, before bidding everyone goodbye with a song. In Chorus, they will work with performers on songs they want to sing, providing opportunities for each singer to have their voice heard within the context of an ensemble concert performance.
- Leading AIMS and Chorus ensembles in musical rehearsals and vocal warmups
- Writing original musical theatre songs, often in collaboration with AIMS participants and/or Actionplay staff
- Selecting and sequencing songs for AIMS Chorus concerts, with input from Chorus participants
- Composer / accompanist with experience writing and music-directing for musical theatre
- Available for 25 Sunday sessions, 10am-2pm, October through May
- Available for Chorus performances and AIMS end-of-year performances (dates TBD)
- Able to work on composing and arranging songs outside of rehearsal
- A member of the autistic / neurodivergent / disabled community
- Experience arranging for vocal ensembles and small musical groups
- Licensed music therapist
- Lyricist / Playwright
- Musical improv skills
- Experience working with high schoolers and college-aged adults
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and any work samples you would like to share (website, audio, video, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com – application deadline is August 31, 2021.