ABOUT THE POSITION
Innovative after school program seeks Teaching Artists for after school programs serving children ages 11-14 in the following neighborhoods: Jackson Heights and East Elmhurst. Teaching Artists supervise and teach their discipline to a group of twenty students incorporating literacy in the widest sense of the word.
We are looking for versatile and flexible teachers who are open to frequent feedback on their classroom management and lesson plans, and who are excited to be part of a creative team. Popular art forms with our youth are: Visual Arts and Filmmaking. The ideal candidate will possess excellent classroom management. Strong, sensitive and professional communication skills are a must as well as a good sense of personal and professional boundaries. Teaching Artists must have a culturally sensitive approach to working with diverse populations. Applicants should have experience working with youth.
Please note that due to New York City’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, all position details are subject to change as new guidance emerges from the Department of Youth and Community Development, Department of Education, Department of Health, and other governing entities.
Currently we are expecting that all services for the 2020-21 school year will be delivered in-person, though programming may be offered remotely in the event of school closures.
Our organization prioritizes the health and safety of staff and the families we serve, and all students and staff are expected to adhere to a comprehensive list of precautions and safety measures, including wearing facemasks/PPE, socially distant activities, stable and small class groups, and regular health screening. Staff will be fully trained on health and safety protocols prior to beginning the position.
While we are currently hiring for 21 hour/week after school positions, there is a possibility that we will be contracted to deliver in-person programming during school-day hours, in which case there may be optional opportunities for teaching staff to work up to 40 hours/week between the hours of 8am-6pm.
- Teach assigned content area
- Collaborate in designing literacy-based art curricula that align with recognized learning standards
- Collaborate in the implementation of STEM activities in the literacy-based arts curricula
- Participate in weekly individual and/or group supervision meetings
- Conduct individual weekly supervision of apprentices
- Communicate daily with parents regarding their child’s progress in the program
- Make referrals to Art Therapist, as needed
- Maintain attendance
- Complete evaluation forms for participants
- Supervise maintenance of a current portfolio for every student assigned to teacher
- Participate in agency wide events
- Generate and collaborate on a wide range of community projects and other special projects as needed
- Attend meetings and trainings as assigned
- Supervise and/or provide first aid/CPR, file accident/illness reports
- Complete any other duties assigned by Supervisor(s)
- BA/BFA in professional content area, masters preferred
- NYS Teaching certificate preferred
- Experience as a teaching artist
- Knowledge of: Learning Standards of New York State in the Arts, Learning Competencies and Grade Specific Performance Indicators for English Language Arts according to New York State
- Occasional flexible schedule is required
- Bilingual-Spanish/Mandarin/French is preferred
- Position lasts from mid-September-late June
- Most teachers work 21 hours per week (Monday -Thursday from 2:15pm-6pm and Fridays 12pm-6pm)
- Partial schedules (2-3 days per week) are possible
- Weekend availability for occasional field trips is preferred though not required
- The employment is seasonal – however, there is potential for employment teaching your discipline in the summer camp program as well as the following school year
- Salary: $18-$25/hour range based on degree(s), qualifications and experience.
- Benefits (available to employees working 21+ hours per week)
- Medical, Dental and Vision (partial employer-sponsorship)
- Sick Days
- Flex Spending Account
To apply, please upload an updated resume and cover letter to Indeed. Applicants will not be considered without a cover letter. Please indicate your preferred borough in your cover letter; however final placement will be based on the needs of the program.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $18.00 – $25.00 per hour