ABOUT REEL WORKS
Reel Works mentors, inspires and empowers underserved NYC youth to share their stories through filmmaking, therefore creating a springboard for successful careers in media and beyond. Using a one-on-one mentoring model, Reel Works challenges teens to tell their stories and have their voices heard. In turn, students build skills in literacy, leadership, and self-confidence to create productive futures. Reel Works serves 1,000 youth annually from middle school through college to launch careers in media.
PART-TIME EXPERIMENTAL FILMMAKING INSTRUCTOR
In-person summer workshop at Gowanus, Brooklyn studio.
We are seeking an accomplished filmmaker to develop and instruct film programs while providing a positive and creative environment. This is a key part of our after-school programs at Reel Works in 2021.
The Summer Lab is a free, fun, four-week experimental filmmaking workshop for rising 9th and 10th graders in NYC. Participants of Reel Works Experimental Lab are able to be part of a filmmaking community. Every week students create individual short films, earning digital filmmaking credential badges, and qualifying to join our free filmmaking workshops year-round.
This position is part-time, workshop starting June 2021 for program development the actual program dates and times are July 6th – 29th PM EST on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays 10:00 AM-3:00 PM
- Experimental Workshop Instruction
- Foster community with students, mentors, and Reel Works staff
- Responsible for developing engaging concepts, based on the existing curriculum and developing new plans which are customized to student’s strengths and ideas to improve their experiences and educational outcomes. Approval of plans by the Education Team.
- We invite all our instructors to customize the lesson plans to their strengths and ideas to improve the student experience and education outcomes.
- Lead effective, engaging workshops around the creation of short experimental films and how they contribute to the success of a production.
- The Instructor must be available to run in-person and live online training and provide overall industry and career advice.
- Must be a professional in the media industry
- 5+ years of experience with Adobe Premiere
- Professional resume that reflects a mature body of work with a distinctive voice.
- Experience with teaching teens and/or young adults
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles when working with young people
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A high degree of self-awareness, strong personal boundaries and the ability to ask for help
- Effective organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience in a team-based work
- Multiple languages is a plus
- Bachelors degree preferred
This is a part-time position that does not include health benefits. Hourly wage commensurate with experience in filmmaking, technical skills, teaching, and youth development.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, 3 references and work sample.
No calls, please.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $35.00 – $45.00 per hour