GALLIM is seeking a futuristic-thinking, creative, and energetic leader to serve as its next Executive Director. Collaborating with and supporting Artistic Director, Andrea Miller, the Board of Directors, artists and staff, the Executive Director will provide strategic direction, executive leadership, producing and administrative guidance.
The Executive Director will partner with the Artistic Director in leading GALLIM through an ongoing evolution from a traditionally structured touring dance company into a movement based, interdisciplinary live and digital production company. The Executive Director will be charged with devising new revenue models for the company as it forges a path in the unique business landscape of our times. An entrepreneurial thinker, the Executive Director will have proven experience in devising new programs and strategies (i.e., IP licensing, producing models), a track record devising and executing new programs (new services, artistic products) and an intrapreneurial approach to successfully creating and executing strategies for growth.
Critical to success in this role is ensuring the financial viability of the organization. As a team builder, the Executive Director will attract, retain, and inspire the GALLIM staff and lead efforts to improve the organizational culture in the areas of inclusion, communication, accountability, integrity, empathy, and mutual care. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in increasing equity, accessibility, diversity, and justice in the workplace or in the community. The Executive Director will have an ambitious, imaginative approach to raising contributed income, generating commercial revenue, and monetizing intellectual property.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for a leader who can bring together their vision, experience, and passion for contemporary dance performance and physical creative expression to support the realization of innovative, diverse, and internationally recognized projects and programming. The ideal candidate will want to invest themselves in the success and growth of GALLIM and will find personal fulfillment in being part of the future.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to GALLIM’S Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible for:
Leadership and Strategic Planning
- With the Artistic Director, sets the direction and leads the delivery of all GALLIM programs consistent with the vision, mission, values, and priorities of the organization.
- Serves as a key contributor to the strategic planning process, which began in 2020, and focuses on GALLIM’S shift from a traditional repertory dance company to a multi-disciplinary production company.
- Oversees the operational structure and management of the company; reviewing & updating the governance, systems, and organizational plans; codifying the GALLIM creative process; and revamping GALLIM’s slate of educational programming.
- Evaluates utilization of existing space, including studios, offices, and rehearsal facilities.
- Collaborates and partners with artists and staff to achieve outstanding artistic and programming opportunities.
Annual Program Planning and Business Development
- Ensures that annual programs and artistic products are planned and executed on budget and schedule to contribute directly to the organization’s strategy, mission, and values.
- Creates the organizational calendar to include performance series, season structure, education, and outreach programs.:
- Develops and manages existing and new business opportunities for GALLIM’s products and services including dance films, studio residencies, creative coaching, on-demand digital educational programming, site-specific works, commercial productions, and commissions.
- Secures additional avenues of revenue, including but not limited, to the visual art world, fashion, branding/advertising, animation/VR/gaming, and television/film.
- Supervises and directs the staff responsible for artistic administration and artistic event production.
- Manages the relationship with St. Luke and St. Matthew Episcopal Church and external contracts including artists, venues, and partners.
Human Resource and Financial Management
- Recruits and supervises staff while ensuring an inclusive, equitable and healthy workplace environment.
- Evaluates and creates impactful administrative and HR systems.
- Ensures all program costs are planned and budgeted within the financial capabilities of GALLIM, as set out in annual Board approved budgets.
- Manages financial priorities and objectives that are supported by prudent financial management and well-defined administrative structures.
- Aligns the appropriate use of available resources (financial resources, human resources, and premises/equipment) with the planned priorities.
- Identifies additional resources that may be required and plan for their acquisition.
Marketing and Development
- Supervises and directs staff and external consultants.
- Oversees the successful execution of all fundraising activities.
- Leads the process for developing, designing, and implementing accurate and timely marketing and development materials.
- Partners with the Board of Directors to explore creative and business development opportunities to increase contributed and earned income.
- Leads a process to identify and recruit new Board members.
External Role for Advocacy
- Strengthens the reputation and awareness of GALLIM locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Alongside the Artistic Director serves as a lead advocate and spokesperson to the arts community, educators, relevant government agencies, current, past, and potential grant makers, donors, and funders.
- Engages in speaking opportunities and appearances including attendance at events, conferences, performances etc.
- Represents GALLIM in a positive, respectful, and constructive manner, consistent with the organization’s values to all external and internal stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate will have leadership experience and a demonstrated record of increasing responsibility in dance, or other creative industries. With a proven track record in project and financial management, they will bring a visionary approach to this position. A natural collaborator and a futuristic thinker, the new Executive Director will understand how to maximize GALLIM’s nimble organizational model. They will have the proven ability to cultivate effective relationships with multiple stakeholders, lead a high-performance team, and have a demonstrated understanding of the programmatic, financial, strategic, and operational side of an arts organization.
With high emotional intelligence and political savvy, the Executive Director of GALLIM will be a motivated ambassador and advocate for an organization in a dynamic multi-cultural environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable engaging in conversations that generate revenue, build effective partnerships, deepen engagement, and advance innovative approaches to presentations, educational, and community needs.
Creative and resilient, the Executive Director will embrace a healthy organizational culture based in collaboration and strategic partnerships. A leader who is self starting and a natural decision maker, the Executive Director will be adept at influencing others with superb teamwork and interpersonal skills. Bringing insight and experience in leveraging financial, human, and technological resources, the Executive Director will be a highly evolved communicator, who is adept at negotiation, planning and organization.
Bringing a sense of achievement through shared values and goals, the Executive Director will be an inspirational leader, who will ensure the future success of GALLIM.
A competitive compensation package including a salary of $85,000 – $95,000 per annum, plus additional benefits will be provided, commensurate with experience.
The GALLIM Executive Director Search is co-led by Bill Melamed and Martin Bragg of Martin Bragg & Associates. To apply in confidence please email your letter of interest and resume in Word or PDF format to Martin Bragg & Associates at firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, and all applicants will receive an acknowledgement of their application. No phone calls please.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
GALLIM is committed to an open and transparent hiring process and encourages applications from our diverse community. GALLIM hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity, diversity, and inclusion. GALLIM is unwavering in its pursuit of excellence and recognizes that increasing the diversity of our staff, and especially our leadership, accomplishes this objective. GALLIM is committed to actively and intentionally operating as an anti-bias, anti-racist institution. As such, we promote policies, practices, and programs that work to dismantle systemic racism. We know art is a powerful instrument for social justice. It is a means for people to share history, culture, and perspectives, celebrate differences, challenge assumptions, and find common ground. GALLIM is dedicated to advancing anti-bias, anti-racism work as we grow. We understand that this work is an iterative journey. We will continue to evolve our strategies in collaboration with our communities to remain relevant and impactful. We welcome all applications from women and gender nonconforming people, people of color, Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.