REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: 30 hours, Salaried, Non-Exempt. Full Benefits.
ABOUT BLOOMINGDALE SCHOOL OF MUSIC
Bloomingdale School of Music’s (BSM) mission is to provide access to high-quality music education for all its students, regardless of background. Roughly 800 students of all ages participate in group classes, private lessons, and performances each week. Bloomingdale maintains an unwavering commitment to providing support for individuals from underserved communities, not only to prepare talented students for more advanced musical study but also to open doors to the musically curious who may otherwise be financially prohibited from taking up an instrument. More information may be found at the school’s website www.bsmny.org.
Our values drive our mission:
We believe music is for everyone. We work with students to overcome financial or personal obstacles by offering aid and flexibility.
Diverse and Inclusive
We value diversity by creating an environment of voices where each member is inspired to be open and feels valued.
A community that unites all ages, backgrounds, and cultures, Bloomingdale finds common purpose through the language of music.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of External Affairs works closely with the Executive Director to lead external communications, fundraising, and special events for BSM. This position will provide oversight and operation of Bloomingdale’s communications and marketing strategy, including the website, mass communications, and social media. The Director of External Affairs will also collaborate with the Executive Director to oversee grant writing and donor management and cultivation, as well as manage both small and large scale fundraising and promotional events to deepen relationships with our community and donor base by ensuring events are successful and cost-effective while paying attention to budget and time constraints.
This role will be critical to ensuring the organization’s branding, marketing and fundraising messaging are consistent and ensure the school will meet its annual operating income goals, increase overall support, and diversify earned and contributed revenue streams. They will manage the day-to-day administration and budget oversight of all external affairs operations, including supervision of the Communications and Marketing Manager (who oversees the Communications and Marketing Assistant), and part-time graphic design and development support, as well as managing the work of the grant writing and P.R. consultants.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
- In partnership with the Communications and Marketing Manager, oversee the strategic communications and marketing efforts to increase BSM’s visibility, grow enrollment and contributed revenue, and identify new opportunities, while ensuring that all external materials align with and enhance BSM’s brand.
- Lead the Communications Team in working with the Programs and Registrations team to develop and execute a strategy to increase enrollment.
- Manage public and media relations with the support of a P.R. consultant.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to design a fundraising plan for raising contributed income through individual and institutional giving, including the annual end of year appeal and board giving.
- Oversee consultant grant writers and grant application process, including regular check-ins on the grant proposals and report calendar, reviewing grant proposals and reports from grant writers, and identifying new institutional giving prospects.
- Work with the Director of Education and the Director of Student Services to develop methods for identifying and evaluating program outcomes.
- Work with development support to ensure that the donor database system for recording, acknowledging, and encouraging individual, institutional, and corporate giving is consistently updated.
- Serve as an engaging external representative of BSM, nurturing relationships with BSM’s Board, donors, and partners.
- Oversee planning and execution of BSM’s annual spring event as well as smaller donor engagement events, in collaboration with the Executive Director, Communications Team, Board of Directors, and other staff members.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-5 years experience in non-profit communications, development, special events, customer service, or relevant work.
- Minimum of two years in a management role or project management experience.
- Knowledge of and commitment to community music education and arts education is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity and Inclusion is a must.
- Extremely detailed-oriented and highly organized.
- Demonstrates initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills, including impeccable proofreading ability.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team setting, adapting to changes and opportunities.
- Strong time management with the ability to prioritize responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Sensitivity to working with personal or private information with complete trust and professionalism.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Mac (Fluency in Word, Excel, G Suite, experience with PowerPoint or Keynote, InDesign a plus).
- Experience with marketing and donor database systems and budget management.
- Experience with Social Media and websites for a business or organization (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, Snapchat, WordPress, etc.)
- This position requires a 30 hour/week schedule with M-F 10 AM – 4 PM required. Flexibility around remote work, some hours at the school required.
- Ability to work mornings, evenings, and weekends when necessary for BSM events.
- The salary is commensurate with experience, and the position is eligible for overtime, pre-approved by the supervisor when the events schedule requires.
- BSM offers a full benefits package including partial health costs, retirement, transit, and a generous vacation schedule.
APPLICATION AND HIRING PROCESS
- Candidates interested in this position should submit a cover letter and resume to https://jobs.bernieportal.com/482ada5b by Friday, August 27, 2021.
- Cover letter: In your cover letter please discuss why you believe you are a good fit for this position, as well as demonstrate how our values align with your own professional goals and mission.
- Only those being considered will be contacted by email/phone for an initial interview.
- Position will begin in September/October 2021.
Bloomingdale School of Music is an EOE/educational institution and is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion. BSM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.