About the Job Rosie’s Theater Kids
(RTKids), an arts education nonprofit founded by Rosie O’Donnell and Lori Klinger in 2003, is seeking a full-time Development Manager. RTKids positively changes the trajectory of young people’s lives by providing comprehensive classes in music, dance, and drama; thoughtful mentoring; and structured academic guidance from fifth grade to high school graduation. Through its in-school, after-school, and summer programming, RTKids reaches over 1,100 New York City public school students annually.
RTKids’ Development Department is looking for a strong fundraising generalist and an experienced grant writer and excellent communicator with superlative interpersonal skills to fill the role of Development Manager and serve as part of a busy two-person fundraising office. The role supports the fundraising efforts of RTKids as a whole, with a 50% focus on increasing foundation, corporate, and government funding by managing and expanding the grants portfolio and by acting as the primary author and editor of all grant materials. Additionally, the Development Manager will work with the Director of Development in planning and execution of events as well as on individual donor stewardship, including creating and managing a system for donor outreach, creating and tracking acknowledgements, and other work as needed. There is room for growth in the Development Manager role, and RTKids is seeking candidates with the ability and desire to help grow this role based on their experience and interests.
- Lead all grant writing for public, private, corporate, and government funding opportunities, including but not limited to composing, editing, and final submission of proposals, application forms, letters of interest, reports, thank you notes, and correspondence
- Coordinate with RTKids staff to produce timely, compelling, and accurate grant materials, financial reports, and budgets
- Systematically research, identify, cultivate, secure, and steward current and potential institutional funding relationships in concert with the Director of Development
- Manage the annual grant calendar and work in conjunction with the Director of Development to build out and maintain the annual departmental calendar, including event, appeal, and Board meeting dates
- Support Director of Development in creating short- and long-term strategy for fundraising
- Assist with and/or attend site visits with donors and prospective funders
- Assist in planning and execution of special events for donor cultivation and fundraising, including attending regular Gala meetings with the Director of Development and outside event consultants
- Manage donor database maintenance (Salesforce), maintaining comprehensive tracking notes regarding each proposal submission and interaction with the donor, as well as generating weekly acknowledgment letters
- Assist Director of Development and Artistic and Executive Director in composing internal and external communications, generating copy for published materials, including special events marketing, monthly donor e-newsletter, and targeted fundraising appeals
- Lay out monthly donor newsletter content through Constant Contact (no design skills necessary) and help oversee content creation for email and social media communication during major campaigns, such as the Gala and year-end fundraising
- Respect for children and belief in the mission of the organization
- 3-5 years’ experience in grant writing and building relationships with institutional funders at a nonprofit organization
- Event planning experience preferred
- Relevant bachelor’s degree required
- Superior verbal and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills, coupled with a strict attention to deadlines and instructions
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Office
- Professional experience working with Customer Relations Management (CRM) software, familiarity with Salesforce is a plus
- Ability to both collaborate and work independently
- Knowledge and appreciation of the performing arts
RTKids offers a competitive compensation package, including generous benefits and paid time off. The salary range for this position is $50,000-$60,000.
RTKids is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, uniformed service, protected activity (i.e:, opposition to prohibited discrimination or participation in proceedings covered by the anti-discrimination statutes) or any other characteristic protected by law. To this end, all employment-related decisions are made on a non-discriminatory basis and in full compliance with federal, state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. RTKids also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request, or when made aware of such a need.
RTKids recognizes the value of diversity in the workplace generally and at RTKids in particular. It is the policy of RTKids to encourage and promote the recruitment of women, people of color and other under-represented groups. The intent of this policy is to broaden the pool of applicants for all positions, entry level and advanced, so that people from under-represented groups are made aware that these opportunities exist and that the workplace at RTKids is welcoming and inclusive.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three relevant writing samples (ideally grant proposals or other funding solicitations) to Katherine Heberling, Director of Development, at email@example.com.