The Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) is seeking a Bursar and Finance Assistant whose primary responsibility is to manage the invoicing and receiving of all revenue for MMDG’s Education and Community Engagement programs which encompasses off-site community programs and Dance Center activities including The School, Space Rentals, and the Dance for PD program. This full-time position plays an integral role as part of a Finance team of five people. The Bursar and Finance Assistant will gain a comprehensive understanding of the role of the Finance department in a performing arts institution that comprises a professional touring dance company and community-based dance center. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented individual with strong accounting skills looking to learn and contribute to the non-profit field. The Bursar and Finance Assistant joins the organization at a pivotal moment as we reimagine how we operate, further embody our core values, and welcome back our community.
The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’s commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that the arts have in connecting and engaging communities. MMDG is committed to ongoing and sustained equity and inclusion work. All staff are expected to be actively engaged and dedicated to upholding our core values of celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure, and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity. Learn more about MMDG’s commitment to antiracism and our core values.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and process weekly cash deposit for Dance Center activities (Adult and Youth and Family programs)
- Reconcile payments from 3rd party payers
- Prepare and process weekly deposit for Space Rental program (Wellness Center, Studios, and Events)
- Reconcile daily credit card batches and post payments received from The School, The Store, Dance for PD, Rentals and other MMDG programs.
- Prepare invoices for Space Rentals and perform monthly reconciliation.
- Process and manage tuition payment plans for The School
- Maintain all invoicing and income tracking for Education and Community Engagement programs
- Process and reconcile Gift Certificate and Class Card purchases and donations.
- Maintain account credits and deferred revenue for Dance Center activities
- Generate weekly journal entries for School and Rental activities
- Reconcile monthly merchant services statements (Amex, MC/Visa)
- Prepare journal entries for contributed income from Education and Community Engagement programs
- Support Finance Team as needed
- Prepare and process weekly deposit for online Store and off-site sales
- Process purchase orders, receivers, inventory adjustments, and interfacing with accounting software
- Conduct bi-annual inventory physical count in conjunction with the Marketing Department
Additional duties include: Attending weekly Finance and Education department meetings, assisting with annual Audit preparation, general filing and scanning of documents in support of the Finance department.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Are Independent and Intuitive – You can work autonomously with minimum supervision but also know when you need to seek advice from your peers.
- Enjoy Details and Data Entry – You enjoy working with data and are exceptionally organized with an acute attention to detail. You value accuracy.
- Are an Accounting Detective – You find great satisfaction in reconciling discrepancies and account balances. Your ultimate reward is solving the mystery and closing the month on time.
- Align with our Core Values – You work well with others towards a common purpose to achieve shared goals by developing and maintaining responsive, cooperative and mutually beneficial internal and external relationships.
- Associate/Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or 1-2 years of accounting experience particularly working in the general ledger
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and excellent Excel skills
- Experience with accounting software
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge, Counterpoint POS, Mind Body POS, Active, EMS, and Eventbrite a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual Salary: $40,000
- Flexible schedule, On-site required
- Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays and bonus days
- Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax commuter benefit, 403(b) retirement plan, and 100% paid family leave
- Access to special events and MMDG performances (when available)
- Access to free and discounted classes at the Dance Center and online
- Invitations to cultural events extended to staff members by community partners.
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- You will be asked to submit the following as part of your online application:
- 1-page Cover Letter addressed to Elizabeth Fox, Chief Financial Officer
- Complete résumé highlighting relevant experience.
- The cover letter should include answers to each of the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working at the Mark Morris Dance Group?
- The Bursar and Finance Assistant must have attention to detail and value accuracy. How have you exhibited these skills in previous positions?
- MMDG is a values-driven organization; please review our core values of Community, Excellence, Creativity, and Access and discuss two instances in your professional career where you have demonstrated at least two of them.
- The position is open until filled, but preference will be given to those candidates who apply on or before Aug. 15, 2021. Ideal start date is no later than Sept 13, 2021.
- Please note that all candidate interviews will be conducted by video using the Zoom (https://zoom.us/) video communications application. Please download the application in advance and have a functioning camera and speaker on your device. MMDG can also provide candidates with reasonable accommodations, if needed.
APPLY VIA THE LINK ABOVE