The Mark Morris Dance Group seeks an Adult Programs Coordinator to be a part of a 6-person Education and Community Engagement Department with a primary focus on the Adult programs and related Dance Center activity, including the coordination of the Subsidized Rehearsal Space Program (SRSP). Reporting to the Adult Programs Director, the Adult Programs Coordinator will be the lead on daily program execution, customer service, SRSP reconciliation, and provide necessary feedback.
The Education and Community Engagement Programs reflect the spirit of the Mark Morris Dance Group in its celebration of dance and music. We believe that dance is for anybody and aim to provide excellent dance and music experiences for all ages, levels of experience, with and without disabilities. We offer a diverse range of classes, both in-person and online, and strive to be a center of artistic exploration for children and families, community members and professional dancers.
The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’s commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that the arts have in connecting and engaging communities. MMDG is committed to ongoing and sustained equity and inclusion work. All staff are expected to be actively engaged and dedicated to upholding our core values of celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure, and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity. Learn more about MMDG’s commitment to antiracism and our core values.
RESPONSIBILITIES, include but not limited to:
Overall Program Support
- Assist Program Director in developing and implementing Adult Program policies and procedures; participate in the on-going evaluative process of Adult programs; provide feedback and recommendations regarding alignment with MMDG’s core values
- Work closely with Program Director and Operations team to ensure successful onsite Adult programming.
- Assist with the Shared Space program planning and day of event production.
Adult Classes & Workshops
- Maintain Adult Program calendar and ensure accurate and timely updates for public viewing and internal reporting.
- Ensure accurate sign-in and attendance recording in alignment with payroll schedule.
- Provide ongoing attendance/sales reports to Program Director
- Administer online adult classes
- Serve as lead liaison for adult students.
- Manage adult student accounts and activity.
- Maintain a standard of excellent customer service to all Dance Center community members, communicating information on all programs, classes, and services to visitors.
- Coordinate photo and video documentation with Marketing as needed.
Subsidized Rehearsal Space Program (SRSP)
- Serve as the primary contact for the SRSP community; allocate 3,000+ hours of grant subsidized rehearsal space per year to qualifying dance artists/companies; manage communications with participants.
- Develop SRSP policies and procedures in tandem with Program Director
- Reconcile rental fees processed at the Dance Center and deposit cash and checks to finance as needed.
Dance Center Operations Support
- Ensure front desk team has all necessary and up to date program information to successfully execute program operations and provide excellent customer service.
- Work closely with the Operations team to manage daily operational tasks in support of onsite programming; provide feedback on Dance Center operational policies and procedures; step in to provide hands-on support as needed
- Address on-site programming and customer service issues in real-time; troubleshoot registration issues, facilitate any conflict resolution between faculty, students and staff
- Serve as a Dance Center Fire Guard and assist in the event of an emergency at the Dance Center
- Assist with additional responsibilities as needed.
- First Aid Certification + refresher courses offered annually
- CPR/AED Certification + refresher courses offered annually
- FDNY Certificate of Fitness F03 (Place of assembly emergency personnel) + recertification (required every 3 years)
- MMDG COVID-19 Safety Plan and Dance Center Health and Safety policies
- Bystander / De-escalation
- Additional training as required in accordance with MMDG’s Reopening Plan and NYS Guidelines
- 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday 11am-7pm
- A willingness to flex one’s schedule depending on staffing needs at the Dance Center is required
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Have an excellent eye for detail- you are someone who tackles the big projects by conquering the small details with efficiency.
- You are a people person -you love interacting with students and take joy in creating community around a shared appreciation for dance and music.
- You are an active listener- you understand the importance of creative problem solving so that the needs and aspirations of our diverse community are met. You can act with diplomacy and patience under pressure.
- You are incredibly organized- you can manage multiple timelines and shift project priorities to ensure deadlines are met with accuracy.
- Are an excellent communicator- you know how to communicate information succinctly and clearly in written and verbal form both internally and externally.
- Are a team player- you work well as a member of a group. You take ownership for the responsibilities you hold while also collaborating with your coworkers and providing support when needed.
- Love our work and align with our core values – You’re inspired by the ways in which we celebrate our diverse community, pursue excellence in all that we do, advance access, exposure and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivate creativity.
- An understanding of and interest in the New York dance field and cultural sector.
- Minimum of one year of customer service and administrative experience
- Proficiency with MS Office and experience with web-based software required
- Experience working with electronic scheduling and registration software; knowledge of MINDBODY and Active Network software a plus
- Extremely reliable and dedicated
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual Salary: $40.000
- Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays and bonus days
- Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax commuter benefit, 403(b) retirement plan, and 100% paid family leave
- Access to free and discounted classes at the Dance Center and online
- Access to special events and MMDG performances (when available)
- Invitations to cultural events extended to staff members by community partners.
- APPLY VIA THE LINK ABOVE.
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- You will be asked to submit the following as part of your online application:
- Complete résumé highlighting relevant experience.
- 1-page Cover Letter addressed to Sarah Marcus, Director of Education and Community Engagement including:
- Why are you interested in working at the Mark Morris Dance Group?
- What makes an ideal learning and creative space for the adult dancer?
- MMDG is a values-driven organization; please review our core values of Community, Excellence, Creativity, and Access and discuss an instance in your professional career where you have demonstrated at least two of them.
- The position is open until filled.
- Please note that all candidate interviews will be conducted by video using the Zoom (https://zoom.us/)video communications a pplication. Please download the application in advance and have a functioning camera and speaker on your device. MMDG can also provide candidates with reasonable accommodations, if needed.