NYTW is proud to announce the 2021/22 Season 2050 Administrative Fellowship program—a sister program to our successful 2050 Artistic Fellowship, which supports emerging playwrights and directors. Replacing our old internship program, the fellowship represents one of several NYTW initiatives to address the economic barriers that may prevent talented individuals from pursuing careers in the theatre.
For over 20 years, NYTW has honed an inclusive fellowship program for emerging theatre makers with a multiplicity of perspectives. These fellowships have taken many forms, supporting playwrights, directors, designers and administrators.
The 2050 Fellowship is named in celebration of the U.S. Census Bureau’s projection that by the year 2050, there will be no single racial or ethnic majority in the United States. This projection provokes thoughts at New York Theatre Workshop about the transformations that will take place in the American landscape—technologically, environmentally, demographically, economically and artistically—now and in the future. They are a catalyst for broader questions about the direction of our field. But we’re not waiting for the year 2050 to make the change we wish to see. Instead, we’re working to reflect our evolving and beautifully diversifying society now—to ensure there’s space for those who will lead us into the future to build the skills they need now.
We’re seeking enthusiastic candidates who are underrepresented in theatre administration. We encourage applicants with a unique perspective inclusive of race, color, religion, familial status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age and physical ability to apply. We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. NYTW is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), and all qualified applicants will receive consideration.
The 2050 Administrative Fellowship Program is made possible with funds from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, American Express and, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
As a 2050 Administrative Fellow, you will:
- Commit to a yearlong paid part-time fellowship in one field of interest including Artistic, Development, Education & Engagement, Executive, Finance & Operations, Marketing, Producing, and Production Management.
- Work directly with the department head and their team in the respective area of focus.
- Attend a two-day intensive seminar where you’ll be introduced to the fellowship program, meet NYTW staff, and begin to develop your fellowship goals and plans.
- Take on significant responsibilities in your department, including day-to-day tasks and long-term collaborative and individual projects.
- Participate in monthly seminar meetings to discuss your work, share ideas, meet other professionals in the field and receive specialized career-development training.
- Participate in brown bag lunches with members of the NYTW staff and invited guests and attend industry networking and social events.
2021 / 22 Season Application Timeline
- Application Deadline: May 10, 2021
- Application Review: Mid/Late May
- Candidate Interviews: Early/Mid June
- Fellowship Offers: Late June
- Fellowship Start: September 13, 2021
- Fellowship Orientation: September 13–14, 2021
- Fellowship Conclusion: August 2022
RSVP for a free Virtual Information Session on April 12 from 6–7:30pm EDT
Duration: September 2021-August 2022
Compensation: 20-30hrs/week at $16.50/hr, plus an additional $500 monthly living stipend