Type of Position: Part-Time Temporary
Job Type: In-person
Application Post Date: November 9, 2021
Application Deadline: December 11, 2021
About Our Organization
Apollo Education: The Apollo’s Education Department engages audiences of all ages through a variety of programs and events. These include workshops and residencies, tours, seminars, and synchronous and asynchronous virtual learning for K-12 audiences; career and youth development through the Apollo Theater Academy; and events dedicated to deepening the understanding of the arts and cultural contributions of peoples of the African diaspora.
School Programs: The Apollo’s school programs provide a variety of engagement activities for young audiences in performance, artmaking, and interpretation.
Nearly 15,000 New York City K -12 students and teachers are served each year through workshops, residencies, tours, performances, and online resources. Apollo school programs take place during the school day and during after-school hours and are focused on teaching and learning through the integration of the performing arts, media, and the humanities.
Our recently launched distance learning program has expanded our audiences to include schools outside of the tri-state area and is expected to grow substantially over the next few years. As the Apollo is a world renown stage, our school programs frequently link to the Theater’s larger initiatives including performances, festivals, and the Apollo New Works series. With the addition of two new black box theaters in 2022, Apollo school programs are poised for an exciting period of growth and expansion.
Job Position Summary
The Theater assistant will support Teaching Artist and all theater activities in conjunction with the Apollo Theater’s Education’s theater residencies.
Roles & Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides on-site support for Teaching Artist, ensures materials are in order and space is set-up.
- Troubleshoots any last-minute changes or challenges while on-site.
- Distributes and collects release forms and program evaluation materials from studentsand teachers.
- Administrative liaison between the school site and Apollo’s Education team.
- Organize, track, and report statistics and demographics of participants.
- Using supplied templates document the residency sessions.
The ideal candidate is considering a career as a Theater Teaching Artist and is seeking an opportunity to work directly with students and a Master Theater Teaching Artist. Applicants with coursework in Teaching Artistry, Stage Management, and/or Educational Theater will be decidedly granted an interview for this position.
- Prior Theater teaching experience is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range ofpersonalities and communities.
- Experience coordinating activities for large and small groups.
- Assist the Master Teaching Artist(s) in supporting students to follow through withassigned directives.
- Stage management and production experience.
- Support coordination for visiting teaching artists for workshop sessions.
- Flexible, adaptable to sudden change, and able to trouble shoot effectively.SCHEDULE:
This is a temporary hourly paid position during the school year – an average of 3-5 hours per week during afterschool hours.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please e-mail your resume and cover letter, School.firstname.lastname@example.org
Include job title in subject line “Theater Assistant.”
No phone calls please.
Only candidates who fully meet the qualifications will be contacted. Apollo Theater Foundation, Inc. – EOE