Type of Position: Part-Time
Salary: $30.00 - $45.00 per hour; no benefits included.
Job Type: In-person
Application Post Date: August 19, 2021
About Our Organization
Reel Works mentors, inspires, and empowers underserved NYC youth to share their stories through filmmaking, therefore creating a springboard for successful careers in media and beyond. Using a one-on-one mentoring model, Reel Works challenges teens to tell their stories and have their voices heard. In turn, students build skills in literacy, leadership, and self-confidence to create productive futures. Reel Works serves 1,000 youth annually from middle school through college to launch careers in media.
The Fellows Program is the most advanced form of film study we offer. Students apply to be a Fellow in a specific tract (e.g., screenwriting, directing, editing, producing, cinematography, sound production) and then participate in a year of programming and an internship. As a cohort, students meet Wednesdays and Thursdays to create new and more sophisticated work, gain individualized study with a professional mentor, and collectively focus on film studies and media literacy.
Job Position Summary
We are seeking a Filmmaking Instructor for Reel Works Fellows Workshop. We are looking for filmmaking specialists with a background in Directing, Production, Cinematography, Editing, or Sound Production/Design.
The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about the mission of Reel Works and will help foster our filmmaking community. Filmmaking Instructors are responsible for guiding students through specific crafts in the industry, collaborating with other Filmmaking Instructors as well as mentoring and empowering young filmmakers. The Filmmaking Instructor is also responsible for developing the curriculum. This role works closely with the Filmmaker-In-Residence and Program Director at Reel Works.
This is a part-time position, starting November 2021 – June 2022.
The Workshop meets Wednesdays and Thursdays, 4:30 – 6:30 PM, December 15, 2021 – June 16, 2022, with Production/Post support through December 2022.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Outline & Lesson Plan Development
- Responsible for developing engaging and informative sequential sessions for a specific filmmaking craft
- Create lessons that are customized to student’s strengths and ideas to improve their experiences and educational outcomes
- Be available to run both in-person workshops in NY and online sessions
- Lead an effective, fun, and engaging 2 hours workshop
- Provide overall industry and career advice in a positive atmosphere
- Schedule and communicate with various Filmmaking Instructors as part of the Fellows Program
- Foster community with Instructors, Students, and Mentors
- Professional filmmaker in the media industry with a resume that reflects a mature body of work with a distinctive voice.
- Experience with teaching teens and/or young adults
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles when working with young people
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A high degree of self-awareness, strong personal boundaries, and the ability to ask for help
- Effective organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience in a team-based work
- Multiple languages is a plus
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, 3 references, and work sample via Indeed (linked above).
No calls, please.
Job Type: Part-time