Type of Position: Full-time
Salary: $70,000-$75,000 per year
Job Type: Hybrid
Application Post Date: December 22, 2021
Application Deadline: December 31, 2021
About Our Organization
Background: Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 75 full-time and 85 part-time Explainer staff members.
Job Position Summary
The Digital Marketing Manager is a member of a team dedicated to driving awareness, engagement, conversion and loyalty for key potential visitor groups to the NY Hall of Science. This individual works closely with the Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer, design and communications staff, agency and interdepartmental colleagues to drive awareness, engagement and conversion of attendance products and events among key consumer targets. The Digital Marketing Manager is responsible for the day-to-day execution and optimization of efforts that generate consumer engagement and revenue, including daily visitation, events, paid memberships and new products, and is also responsible for optimizing existing campaigns while exploring and implementing new ways to profitably acquire new customers.
They are a passionate, entrepreneurial, innovative, customer-driven content creator and amplifier, who demonstrates creative problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They are professional, self-motivated, collaborative – they take their work seriously but don’t take themselves too seriously. They have cultural awareness, empathy and an approach to work and life that is rooted in a respect for the value of diversity, equity and inclusion; with a genuine interest in STEM and enthusiasm for making it fun and accessible to anyone.
Ability to thrive in a hybrid work environment.
- Support short-term and long-term customer-centric brand vision initiatives that are consistent with our mission
- Support a culture of continuous improvement and customer-centricity
- Collaborate with senior leadership to drive the creation and execution of brand strategy
- Lead marketing campaigns from the idea stage through to their execution and implementation
- Work with other department heads and staff to discuss plans and marketing strategies
- Collaborate with finance staff to set and stay within budget
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Highly creative with experience in identifying target audiences and devising digital campaigns that engage, inform, and motivate
- Coaching and subordinate involvement
- Managing processes
- Self-motivated yet customer-focused
- Able to develop budgets
- Familiar with financial planning and strategy
- Experience in team building, leadership and project management
- Good problem solving and communication skills
- Strong writing skill
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or related field required
- 5+ years of experience in digital marketing, ideally for a brand with passionate end users
- Strong understanding of key elements of the digital marketing ecosystem: Paid and Organic Social and Search, digital display advertising, email acquisition and engagement, website management, landing page and order form development, ecommerce
- A track record of success building and optimizing a portfolio of display, paid search and social accounts/campaigns
- Data-driven decision-making skills, the ability to clearly connect digital marketing efforts with results, and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong time, budgetary and project management skills, with both internal and external resources.
- Experience with tagging and pixel implementations, programmatic display, Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools a plus
- Experience in partnering with an agency in the planning and buying of digital media and development of creative campaigns and assets
- Finesse and ability to collaborate and build strong working relationships with colleagues at all levels in a matrixed organization
- Proficiency with MS office applications (especially Excel), G Suite applications (especially Sheets), Google Analytics, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, HubSpot Facebook / Instagram Business Manager, Twitter analytics, Sprout Social, Monday (project management)
- Experience in the attractions, travel, tourism or hospitality industries a plus.
- A/B testing best practices across email, website, display advertising
- Ability to swiftly shift between big picture and day-to-day, in order to drive projects forward, without losing sight of overall goals
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; includes an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Project manage new campaigns and efforts from ideation to launch.
- Provide strategic recommendations and maintain testing calendar.
- Collaborate with agency to build, optimize, and scale paid search, social media and display campaigns for a diverse range of initiatives including conversion and revenue generation, ticket purchases, event ticket purchases, onsite and online membership sales
- Develop and manage an email calendar spanning acquisition and engagement efforts for visitors, prospects and membership, with ongoing optimization
- Development of a calendar and content for, management, and moderation of the institution’s organic social presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Collaborate with agency and consultants to structure, implement and measure tests for landing pages, messaging/offer, and audiences
- Maintain consistent verbal and visual vocabulary for the brand across marketing efforts
- Oversee the capture of video, photo and other content/assets for marketing initiatives
- Manage website content updates / partner with developer for more complex changes
- Provide routine performance reporting for digital marketing and engagement efforts
- Support planning, prioritization and execution of website enhancements
- Copywriting for email, website and organic social
- Manage the marketing budget, track marketing expenses and partner with finance to coordinate payment of marketing expenses
- Remain conversant with digital marketing best practice
- Participate in interdepartmental working groups and project teams
Coordinate intern experience, as applicable
How to Apply
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.