Type of Position: full-time
Salary: $37,000-$40,000 annually
Job Type: In-person
Application Post Date: October 20, 2021
Application Deadline: December 1, 2021
About Our Organization
TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
TADA! Youth Theater’s mission since 1984 has been to provide young people from different social, racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds with musical theater programs that inspire them to learn, be creative, and think differently through high-quality productions, positive youth development, and education programs.
ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND: TADA! is a unique, Drama Desk award-winning nonprofit youth theater that produces original musicals for children, teens, and family audiences. TADA! offers a free, year-round, pre-professional training and a positive youth development program for the Resident Youth Ensemble (ages 8-18); musical theater classes/camps for the public; as well as musical theater residencies in NYC schools and community centers. Through TADA!’s high-quality work, young people’s self-confidence and creativity are enhanced. They also develop advanced skills in leadership, communication, responsibility, collaboration, and problem-solving – skills that help with growing up and are essential to their success both in school and in life.
- Musical Theater Passion – We value and have a deep passion for musical theater as an art form that empowers, educates, and transforms people from all different backgrounds.
- Unique Programming – We value TADA!’s unique programming. Our innovative and responsive approaches to musical theater adapt to the evolving landscape of our community and world, serving and supporting the TADA! Family (board, staff, students, and families and audiences) for over 36 years.
- Artistic Excellence: We value creating high-quality, innovative, professional musical theater productions, programs, and experiences that inspire, transform, empower, challenge, and engage our TADA! family and the greater global community.
- Community: We value an ensemble-based environment where the TADA! family collaborates as a team and works together respectfully and creatively. All TADA! programs and experiences are rooted in ensemble, and through ensemble based practices, we strive to make everyone involved feel brave to explore and authentically express themselves and their identity. By exploring the depths of others and cultivating empathy, we find space for our true selves to shine.
- Empowerment and Leadership: We value and encourage everyone in the TADA! family to share their voice and be heard. We want our staff, board, ensemble members, students, and families to feel seen, heard, and free to advocate for themselves. We strive to provide leadership opportunities at all levels; in the classroom, rehearsal room, and behind closed doors with our staff and board members.
- Arts for All: We value diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility, and justice. We value providing all people an opportunity to create, imagine, learn, and experience the joy of musical theater, regardless of race, ethnicity, class, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ability, nationality, and immigration status. We are committed to being an actively anti-racist and anti-oppresive organization, believe that racial division is a key tool of oppression, and that we gain strength and power in learning and sharing our histories, cultures, and experiences. We commit to urgent action, innovation & transformation within the world and in our own organization.
- Professionalism: We value professionalism, integrity, and accountability in all aspects of our work. We value highly trained and versatile musical theater professionals who are dedicated ambassadors and champions of TADA! Youth Theater’s mission, vision, and values in person and online. We commit to continuous improvement and professional growth.
- Culture of Growth: We value creating a brave, transparent, and supportive culture of growth through respect, collaboration, and teamwork where the TADA! Family feels empowered to take risks and explore their interests and identities at their own pace in order to grow into kind, empathetic human beings.
- Nurture Creativity: We value creating a brave space that encourages and supports creativity where everyone is respected and included. Through supportive ensemble-based productions, programs, and experiences, we see growth in self-expression, risk-taking, and self-confidence.
- Fun: We value sharing the joy and fun of musical theater with all people every day
Job Position Summary
- Be the face of TADA! in person, on the phone, in email and snail mail
- Maintain and manage facilities and equipment
- General administrative duties to create and maintain an effective, efficient and productive office
- Communicate with and support all departments of TADA!
- Increase earned income through space rentals and oversee space rental management
- Deep appreciation and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission, vision, and values, and an understanding of theater and arts education
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in administration and customer service
- Strong listening skills, compassion and intercultural sensitivity towards people of various identity markers and life experiences
- A quick learner who is able to manage various projects and get up to speed quickly when needed, yet unafraid to ask for help or admit when they do not know the answers
- Ability to troubleshoot and independently solve complex problems
- Customer service oriented and committed to closing loops and getting answers
- An ability to handle multiple deadlines, manage competing priorities, be proactive, and work effectively with a sense of humor
- Detail oriented and organized
- A self-starter with the ability to work autonomously and act independently but also work with and contribute as part of a strong, effective, and close-knit team
- A commitment and deep interest in diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of TADA!’s programming and initiatives
Roles & Responsibilities
- Oversee, manage, and monitor the lobby, rehearsal rooms, offices, theater, and bathrooms to ensure they are safe (including following COVID protocols), organized, clean, and properly stocked
- Answer incoming calls to the main telephone line – answer questions and/or direct them to the appropriate team member
- Check customer service email and voicemail and answer or forward to the appropriate department or team member
- Answer the door and ensure a positive office experience for the TADA! community, renters, and guests
- Pickup, sort, distribute, and put away incoming and outgoing mail and other deliveries daily, and prepare and ship outgoing mail
- Send the bi-weekly staff meeting agenda on Slack as well as take and distribute staff meeting minutes
- Update and maintain the google calendar space schedule, and communicate and coordinate all requests and changes with other departments
- Oversee and coordinate:
- Track, order, and restock inventory of building supplies (e.g., first aid kits, cleaning supplies, office supplies, light bulbs, etc.)
- Order transit cards (communicate with staff on re-orders and any applicable changes) then distribute when transit cards arrive. Work with Director of Finance on this task
- Order and prepare food/beverages for staff, board, and committee meetings
- Order business cards for new hires and current employees
- Order cards (get staff to sign and then send on time) & gifts for various members of the TADA! Community (e.g., staff, board, Alumni, ensemble families, funders, etc.) for birthdays, consolidences, work anniversaries, holidays, etc.
- Serve as a key member in planning and executing events, happy hours, team building, EDIJ, and other functions
- Oversee, manage, and schedule:
- Check in with staff members monthly for supply orders, and receive and put away supplies
- Schedule and oversee cleaning and garbage companies
- Maintain and deal with issues of office machinery copiers, postage meter, refrigerators, vending machines, fire extinguishers, water coolers, postal machine, printers, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, telecom, water, fire, IT, elevator, waste management, pest control, cleaning services, etc.
- Trouble-shoot and call for repairs when needed for minor building maintenance, (check in with Production Supervisor and Building Supervisor first before moving ahead with repair)
- Point of contact for lost & found items, and arrange for items to be donated/picked up or discarded
- Vendor Management – manage vendor relationships, contracts, and requests while keeping in line with budget
- Train full time and part time and seasonal staff in basic building opening and closing procedures
- Provide rudimentary technological support to staff members and liaison with our IT and database support consultants and services
- Maintain and update emergency response plans, and assist in training staff and running drills
- Assist in onboarding and off boarding of employees – (e.g., initial setup of email, drive, training, paperwork, employee’s equipment, desk is cleaned out, etc.) When appropriate, onboard incoming staff and provide/draft proper HR paperwork (contracts, tax paperwork, etc.)
- Box office calls and email when no BO staff are on-site or available. Maintain a database and send weekly reports starting 6 weeks prior to shows opening.
- Train Box office and House Manager for all productions
- Group Sales – solicit and book groups for productions. This is a major source of box office income for the summer production
- Active participation in TADA! EDIAJ (Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Justice) work
- Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of venue and event ADA and life safety regulations, and best practices for a public assembly venue
- Serve as one of the emergency contacts for the TADA! Space
- Assist as needed with all departments and events
- Additional duties as assigned that support the smooth operation of the organization
- Oversee, manage, and coordinate all aspects of space rental inquiries
- Receive and answer rental-related inquiries in a very timely manner
- Track inquiries in rental calendar as well as update rental spreadsheet
- Coordinate and show space to potential renters
- Update rehearsal room and theater google calendars with booking information once booked
- Print & post weekly schedule for rehearsal studio and theater
- Create contracts, generate invoices, and receive, process, and monitor payments for rentals
- Identify clients’ rentals needs and coordinate with internal departments to secure space, equipment, and staff for rentals.
- For theater rentals, coordinate with the Production Supervisor for specific theater equipment and staff needs of renters. This is during the inquiry process as well as during the renters actual time in the space.
- Schedule meetings to provide renters with keys, and to go over space rental policies and procedures (hand them a hard copy of policies and procedures with contact numbers)
- Check space and equipment after the rental contract is complete, get keys, and process security deposits. For theater space make sure that Production Supervisor has given final approve of load-out before returning security deposit
- Update rental cashflow and budget
- Coordinate fireguard list and distribute to renters of the theater when applicable, to ensure adequate coverage is maintained
- Communicate to Theater/Ensemble/Education staff if there is a conflict that could be adjusted to acquire a rental
- Create contracts, policies and procedures, (including all COVID related requirements) and various other paperwork each fiscal year for renters, and communicate those to all user groups)
- Work with Marketing department to actively advertise, develop, and grow rentals clients to increase revenue
- Additional duties as assigned
How to Apply
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume (a cover letter must be included to be considered) to email@example.com and include the words Administrative Manager in the subject line. Salary range $37,000 -$40,000 plus benefits including health and life insurance, eye care, flexible spending, optional Aflac, optional 403(b), and paid vacation, sick and personal days.
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of our vastly diverse youth in our Ensemble program and school programs. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. Candidates from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status. We are actively looking to expand our staff with BIPOC candidates. COVID-19 Vaccination required. All Employment offers are contingent based upon a successful completion of a background check.