About the American Dream High School
The American Dream School is a dual-language (Spanish/English) high school in the Mott Haven area of the South Bronx. We will offer a project-based, dual-language program that cultivates bilingualism and biliteracy.
About the Position
The American Dream School is seeking a bilingual (Spanish/English) motivated, and engaging founding 9th Grade Teacher who is committed to serving English Language Learners and cultivating bilingualism and biliteracy. The ideal candidate has a passion for both visual arts and art history. He/she will see this position as an opportunity to teach high schoolers not only how to become successful artists but how to actually enjoy art. This candidate will be able to create an environment where abstract concepts and discussion are obtainable for all students (including a large ELL population) and be able merge historical content with modern themes in today’s current events.
The ideal candidates are excited about taking on new challenges. They constantly seek to understand how they can improve their craft because they know that the better they get, the deeper the impact they will have on student achievement. They seek to ensure that all students can and will have college as a viable option. They have demonstrated a strong passion for deeply impacting our communities, country, and world. They acknowledge that all stakeholders, especially our families, are partners in student achievement. They are committed to being a partner, who will work hard to stay in constant communication, assume the best, be open and honest, seek to understand not always to be understood, and give and take constructive feedback and support. Ultimately, they understand that time is a precious resource, but we make time to find joy and excitement in what we do each and every day.
· Discuss assigned duties with teachers for planning, preparation and development of teaching aids
· Prepare lesson materials, including technological equipment and bulletin boards
· Implementing curriculum
· Distribute materials and assist in other time management/organizational duties
· Type, file, and duplicate materials
· Tutor and assist children individually or in small groups
· Assist in the distribution, collection and grading of tests and homework assignments
· Observe students’ performance, and record relevant data to assess progress
· Participate in teacher-parent conferences regarding students’ progress or problems
· Provide extra assistance to students with special needs including physical help
· Attend and participate in staff meetings
· Organize and supervise games and other recreational activities
· Create meaningful interim assessments that will help drive instruction
· Prepare students to be successful taking the NY State ELA assessment
Classroom Management Responsibilities
· Supervise and manage students in all spaces, upholding ADS core values, rules and policies
· Instruct, maintain, and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and material
· Maintain accurate records and create reports
· Assist with breakfast/lunch duties
· Perform other assigned duties
· Following a co-teaching model
· Create and maintain bulletin boards to showcase student work
Special Education Responsibilities
· Create annual goal for students’ IEP
· Implement and track progress of annual goals of students’ IEPs as it pertains to your content area
· Write progress reports (Present levels of Performance) for students as requested
· Participate in yearly IEP conferences
· Establish appropriate modifications and goals for each student
- Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned American Dream curriculum
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement American Dream’s behavior management system with consistency
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual Teacher Academy
- Collaborate with department members to develop and refine American Dream’s Social Studies curriculum
- Implement and support the development of a rigorous cutting edge Social Studies program that develops scholars as problem solvers and analytical thinkers who apply Social Studies skills to their everyday lives
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards using Illuminate Education, our assessment platform.
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Provide additional remediation and acceleration based on formative assessments so that individual students are appropriately challenged according to their zones of proximal development during Self-Directed Learning time
- Actively participate in opportunities to strengthen her/his own pedagogical skills as well as contribute to the learning of colleagues
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students to support their academic and non-academic growth and development
- Contribute to the school’s smooth and efficient operation by fulfilling required administrative duties, responsibilities, and maintaining open and proactive communication with colleagues
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
• New York State Teaching Certification in Visual Arts K-12 or any NYS Certification is required.
• Strong organizational skills;
• Maintain confidentiality and meets deadlines, complete assignments with consistent accuracy;
• Tech-savvy; familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs/drive;
• Effective verbal, writing and listening skills.
403b, medical, dental, TransCheck
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Spanish and English
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com explaining your interest in the role and outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Art Teacher position. In addition, please describe how the mission of the American Dream School speaks to you. Resumes without cover letters ADDRESSING THIS TASK will not be reviewed.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.