The Center for Arts Education (CAE) seeks teaching artists in Theatre (with particular focus in musical theatre), Music (with particular focus in choral, band, keyboard, guitar, and/or Orff instruction), Dance (with particular focus in hip-hop or musical theatre), Visual Arts (with particular focus in mural-making, mosaic, and/or 3-D work), Film, and Digital Media.
- Related academic and practical experience in an art discipline; professional experience a plus
- Two years minimum experience teaching in the art discipline in public schools, or equivalent teaching experience
- Interest in innovative pedagogical methods for the teaching of the art discipline (i.e. inquiry-based learning, project-based learning, arts integrated studies, skills-based instruction and aesthetic education, etc.)
- Knowledge of/interest in standards-based arts education (e.g. New York City Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts and the National Core Arts Standards)
- Strong speaking, listening and writing skills
- Demonstrated commitment to serving children (K-12) in diverse communities and neighborhoods across NYC
Candidates with proficiency in multiple languages or experience working in special education settings are particularly encouraged to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: All teaching artists are required to prepare residency outlines and individual lesson plans for each residency in which they are hired to work. Many residencies require collaborative planning with classroom teachers. CAE staff provide ongoing pedagogical and logistical support to teaching artists.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates interested in teaching artist work at CAE must send:
1. Cover letter
2. Résumé highlighting relevant professional, artistic, and teaching experience
3. Two professional references
4. Sample lesson plan in the art discipline of specialization
Please send all your application materials to email@example.com with the subject line: TA Application: “Art Form” (ex. TA Application: Dance). Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until August 23, 2018.
Mandatory Auditions (by invitation only):
Auditions for invited candidates will be held during the week of August 27th (Dates TBD, 10:00 – 4:00).
All CAE teaching artists must attend a mandatory orientation on in early September, 2018.