WHAT WE DO
At LEAP we believe in the transformational power of the arts. We started as a grassroots movement with just four schools. Today, our teaching artists serve 20,000 kids across the city in over 150 New York City public schools. Every day, our educational arts programs inspire diverse school communities to be more engaged in learning and build critical skills. Our quality educational arts programs promote access and equity for New York City students underserved in the arts.
- We are seeking passionate, experienced teaching artists with a strong interest in arts and academic integration for LEAP’s Public Art Program residencies at our partner schools in the Bronx and Queens. Teaching artists must have demonstrated previous experience teaching the visual arts, ideally in NYC public school settings with middle school students.
- LEAP’s Public Art Program uses a social justice framework to empower middle school students to have a voice in their communities and express themselves on social issues through the creation and public exhibition of art. The program culminates in an exhibition and 3-month installation in New York City Public Parks across the five boroughs.
- You must be available to work during at least two weekdays (M-F) per week during the 2:30pm-5:30pm time period beginning in January 2019 and running through June 2019.
- Work during the school day, have a car and/or be able to commute to schools off the Long Island Railroad in Queens, NY.
REPORTS TO: Managers of Program Excellence, Program Managers, and Site Directors
DIRECT REPORTS: None
WHY YOU’LL LOVE LEAP
At LEAP we are:
- Committed to feedback and willing to provide clear, consistent communication
- Community oriented, and believe in a shared moral responsibility
- Believers in self-care and the wellbeing of others
- Accountable to ourselves, our team, and the organization
- Strong proponents of diversity, equity, equality, and inclusivity
- Open-minded, creative, and flexible
- Mission driven
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Represent LEAP through collaborative planning with classroom teachers and schools to add value to existing school goals and progress.
- Plan engaging and active lessons that combine the arts and academics
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students and teachers in daily lesson plans using the LEAP lesson format
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities
- Explain principles, techniques, and safety procedures to all participants
- Promote positive character development through modeling and instruction
- Make LEAP a visible and exciting part of the school community
- Aid in the organization and execution of student culminating performances and events
- Work closely with the LEAP staff on data, attendance, and evaluation collection, and residency documentation, as needed
- Attend and actively participate in required trainings and professional development
- BA/BS related to the arts and/or education (preferred), or a demonstrated equivalent experience in the visual arts
- Demonstrated excellence in the visual arts
- Passion for inclusion and advocacy in the arts
- 2 years of experience working with the NYC DOE (or other major city) school system
- Experience successfully teaching and instructing youth in the arts
- Experience planning, creating, and executing exciting and meaningful lessons
- Commitment to supporting the LEAP mission and instructional model
- Ability to actively implement NYC Blueprints for Teaching and Learning in the Arts
- Familiarity working with Students with Disabilities and English Language Learners
- Exceptional writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Must be responsible, reliable, and punctual
- Available January 2019 to June 2019
- Flexible schedule and willingness to travel to multiple boroughs
Pre-employment screening is required for this position, including but not limited to criminal history check by the NYC Department of Education, and other regulating agencies as needed per placement.
WE ARE AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
LEAP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary: Hourly rate commensurate with experience
- Hours: varying based on placement, maximum 29 hours per week
- This is a Part-Time position which qualifies for paid sick time
To apply for this position, visit the website (URL) above, or click HERE