About viBe Theater
viBe Theater Experience (viBe) provides girls (ages 13-19) and young women (ages 18-24) in New York City with free, high quality artistic, leadership and academic opportunities. viBe works to empower underserved teenage girls to write and perform original theater, video and music about the real-life issues they face daily. viBe’s performing arts and training programs provide a platform for participants to amplify their voices and “speak truth to power,” by creating an artistic response to the world around them.
viBe Theater Experience is seeking to add several new Teaching Artists to join our team! We are looking for Teaching Artists that will co-facilitate our viBeSongMakers program and someone to co-facilitate one of our in-schools residencies at The Young Women’s Leadership Schools of Brooklyn. Teaching Artist positions at viBe are Part-Time/Seasonal opportunities.
- Prepare for and facilitate rehearsal sessions with the Co-Director and the Spring 2020 participants to create, develop and revise their original script and rehearse for the culminating performances (up to two shows) that are entirely written and performed by the participants.
- Develop and facilitate lesson plans based on the viBe Theater Experience’s unique curriculum and pedagogy and direct an original production.
- Facilitate tryouts and rehearsals for a diverse group of girls ages 13- 19 from a broad range of demographics.
- Submit lesson plans, rehearsal reports as well as type up revisions to scripts in between rehearsal sessions.
- Travel between viBe office and partner schools for residency facilitation.
- Collaborate with other Teaching Artists, viBe’s Program Manager, administrators and classroom teachers as part of a collaborative team.
- 2 or more years of experience teaching youth aged 13-18 in after-school and/or in-school arts-based programs
- Knowledge of music production, basic music theory, familiarity with songwriting, (viBeSongMakers)
- Prior experience working with teen girls and in NYC public schools is a plus.
- Must be available Tues./Thurs 4:30pm – 6:30pm from January 28th – June 13th and have the ability to travel to our rehearsal space in Williamsburg Brooklyn (viBeSongMakers).
- Must be available Wednesdays 11:25am – 12:10pm from January 22nd – June 26th and have the ability to travel to the Partner School in Bushwick Brooklyn (TYWLS).
The ideal candidate will be someone who has:
- At least 1-2 years experience working in NYC public schools.
- A familiarity with devised/applied theater or music methodologies.
- Skills/experience as a facilitator and theater-maker.
- A passion for, and comfort with, Black and Latinx girls/young women
$25 -$50 per hour depending on experience.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to Marita Phelps using the subject line “Teaching Artist.” Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted by Monday January 6th 2020.