Teachers & Writers Collaborative seeks an innovative self-starter with a passion for inspiring others through the arts to manage its creative writing programs for youth and adults in New York City.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative Inc. (T&W) was founded in 1967 with the belief that professional writers could make a unique contribution to the teaching of writing and literature. T&W seeks to educate the imagination by offering innovative creative writing programs for students and teachers, and by providing a variety of publications and resources to support learning through the literary arts. T&W programs include writing workshops for students and seniors, professional development for educators, managing the NYS Poetry Out Loud competition, and publishing Teachers & Writers Magazine and other resources about the teaching of creative writing. Learn more about our programs at twc.org.
The education director will be a dynamic and organized arts administrator who enjoys building community. This is a senior position with responsibility for managing all aspects of T&W’s creative writing programs for young people and adults in schools and community sites. This position reports to the T&W executive director.
The ideal candidate will have a non-profit and/or education background, with experience working in a busy creative office environment where multi-tasking, flexibility and strong communication skills are required.
- Manages selection, training, and oversight of writers on T&W’s roster of teaching artists
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with NYC Department of Education personnel and other key decision makers at the cluster, network, and individual school levels
- Identifies opportunities and implements strategies to promote T&W’s creative writing programs to schools and community organizations
- Sets up residencies and professional development workshops with school and organizational administrators, including negotiating fees, selecting writers to lead programs, and overseeing program implementation
- Plans and leads professional development sessions for teaching artists
- Develops strategies for assessing workshops and residencies, including observing and giving feedback to writers and developing tools for use in program assessment
- Oversees development and production of materials used in promoting and implementing T&W writing programs
- Ensures accuracy of program information on T&W website
- Participates in T&W social media efforts by developing and posting content
- Manages processes for publishing anthologies of work written during T&W programs
- Works with executive director to develop proposals for funding of T&W’s creative writing programs
- Participates in planning and developing content for T&W print and digital publications
- Represents T&W at education and literary arts events
- Participates in T&W Board and committee meetings, including providing primary staff support for committees formed to advance T&W’s creative writing programs
- Staffs T&W events
- Assists with general office tasks; e.g., answering phones, greeting visitors, distributing mail
- Performs other duties as needed
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA plus 8-10 years of experience or MA plus 5-7 years of experience
- Experience in K-12 education, program development, and program assessment required; literary arts education background preferred
- Knowledge of education issues, particularly those affecting K-12 public schools in New York City; familiarity with Common Core State Standards a plus
- Experience in fundraising a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively with and build community among diverse constituencies
- Must be computer literate; experience with social media and Constant Contact preferred
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Education Director.
No phone calls please.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer.