- Position Summary:
The Office of Strategic Partnerships (OSP) of the Department of Education (DOE) works in collaboration with The Fund for Public Schools (The Fund), an independent 501(c)(3), to raise private funding and create partnerships with businesses and philanthropic organizations to support public education in New York City. In the past decade, OSP and The Fund have raised more than $425 million from foundations, businesses, and individuals to support the DOE’s priority initiatives and the city’s public schools. The Fund and OSP work with the DOE to leverage private funding to pilot innovative projects, accelerate promising, outcome-driven initiatives for improving student achievement, and to respond quickly and strategically to emerging needs across the school system. The DOE’s privately supported initiatives span a robust portfolio of education programs, from those that focus on district-level policy and system-wide infrastructure to those that focus on teaching and learning at the classroom level. The Fund and OSP staff liaise between DOE leadership, donors and the public so that the DOE can focus on implementing its programs, and donors have a one-stop point of contact to learn about the city’s educational priorities and support the DOE’s work.
The Portfolio Associate works closely with the Senior Portfolio Director on outreach and fundraising efforts to support the Chancellor’s priority education initiatives, providing a crucial leverage to garner support for the organization’s multimillion dollar fundraising portfolio. The Portfolio Associate will manage the administration of grants, working closely with DOE, funders, community-based organizations, and other external partners to ensure that grants are implemented with fidelity, and lead all necessary work to meet milestones and deliverables to support the grant’s goals. Performs related work.
Managing Director Senior Portfolio Director
Works closely with the Office’s Senior Portfolio Directors, Managing Director, and Finance Director on effectively managing OSP’s active grants, and helping set the stage for further funding of the Chancellor’s top-priority projects.
- Work with the Senior Portfolio Director to understand DOE programming needs, develop strategies, and develop outreach efforts to support their programs.
- Work with public outreach staff to inform strategic outreach, such as funder briefings, donor and public updates on various initiatives, joint communications, development events, etc.
- Liaise with community-based organizations and other external partners on grant implementation.
- Formulate, manage, and implement outreach strategies for individual programs, working in close collaboration with the Office’s senior staff and public outreach staff.
- Research and report on funding prospects aligned to fundraising goals and strategy.
- Develop briefing materials and prepare presentations for funder and public consumption.
- Work with all members of OSP to develop and update office goals, strategic plans, and fundraising and engagement strategies.
- Support funder relationship management, working closely with the Senior Portfolio Director to understand their priorities and desired project outcomes, answer ongoing questions during all phases of engagement, and facilitate their working relationship with the DOE.
- Contribute to the development of funder proposals.
- Coordinate briefings comprising funders, CBOs and other subject-matter experts; provide regular updates to those constituents and manage follow-up.
- Report to funders on specific grants and ensure accountability and compliance with grant agreements.
- Manage the development of new program budgets in order to build strategic, logical, and sustainable spending plans that allow FPS to manage funds and report to funders accurately and provide them a constructive understanding of the impact of their investment.
- Work with DOE program teams in managing execution of grants, including tracking metrics, milestones and deliverables, and tracking expenditures against budget.
- Coordinate across DOE program teams on financial transactions, budget tracking, and modifications to ensure accurate and timely spending.
- Provide operations and strategic support to portfolio team and DOE partners that help to ensure that all programmatic goals and grant funding requirements are met, and that spending is reported in an accurate and timely manner.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two (2) years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six (6) years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one (1) year of experience as described in “1” above.
- Extensive experience and a record of accomplishment in project management, including overseeing complex projects with sizeable budgets, diverse stakeholders, multiple workstreams, and tight deadlines.
- Analytical thinker, with the ability to effectively use data to drive strategy.
- Highly conscientious regarding data integrity and systems management.
- Direct experience in the education, development, and/or philanthropic sectors.
- Able to work closely with high-level decision-makers, other senior managers, and support staff within the organization and externally.
- Creative and highly entrepreneurial individual who functions effectively in both independent and collaborative situations.
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative office; a strong teamwork ethic, sense of humor, and understanding of diplomacy.
- Internal candidates preferred.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not make less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Applications will be accepted through July 2, 2019 until 3:00 p.m.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
Portfolio Associate, OSPThe Office of Strategic Partnerships of the Department of Education
June 27th, 2019
July 2nd, 2019