If you are a gifted PreK educator looking for a flexible part-time schedule, Bitty City Players is looking for YOU!
Bitty City Players cultivates young minds through fun, innovative, and active learning. From theater games to scientific exploration and sensory play, our dynamic classes stimulate the imagination and intellect, and develop social-emotional awareness and problem-solving skills.
We are looking for a part-time teacher to join the team for our small after-school program housed in a public school in the Vinegar Hill/Dumbo area of Brooklyn, NY.
This is an excellent position for anyone – such as a teaching artist, morning program teacher, or graduate student – who loves working with children in a collaborative and supportive environment, and is seeking a regular but flexible part-time afternoon schedule.
Our comprehensive afterschool program provides care from dismissal until 6:00pm, including an enrichment lesson as well as indoor and outdoor play and a meal. Additional opportunities to work with other Bitty City Players programs are also available to those on our team!
★ You are an experienced early childhood educator (focus on PreK)
★ You are knowledgeable about children’s needs, challenges, and development.
★ You are confident preparing and leading lessons.
★ You are a collaborative and flexible team member and an excellent communicator.
★ You are patient, positive, and passionate.
★ You are organized, self-motivated, and reliable.
If this list describes You, come work with Bitty City Players!
- See Criteria outlined above
- Significant classroom experience with Pre-K
- Proficiency teaching at least 1 of the following subjects to young children: theater, visual art, music, movement, STEM topics, foreign language, social-emotional skills.
- Undergraduate degree required; degree in Early Childhood Education, Arts Education, Social Work or related field is preferred
- Work experience in public schools and/or afterschool education is preferred.
- Familiarity with NYC DOE PreK & K Curriculum units is a plus
- Training and experience with special needs individuals is a plus
As a Teacher
- Maintain a welcoming, safe, healthy, organized and age-appropriate learning environment.
- Ensure safety and well-being of students, and encourage their participation during outdoor and indoor play, mealtime, and enrichment class time.
- Plan/contribute to the design and implementation of lessons and activities.
- Teach enrichment lessons 1-4 days/week with support of Assistant Teachers. BCP will provide a broad curriculum, as well as lesson ideas and support. Teachers will create their own lesson plans,
- Problem-solve with young children and manage behavior of groups and individual children, using language focused on “choice” and a positive growth mindset.
- Collaborate with other afterschool teachers
As an Employee
- Attend and actively participate in all training sessions and scheduled meetings.
- Follow procedures and meet expectations as outlined in the Bitty City Players Staff Handbook and during training and orientation.
- Document lessons and hours.
We strive to create a caring and cohesive team, and a supportive and collaborative environment which enables everyone to do their best work.
Schedule and Availability
- The program runs 9/09/2019 thru 6/25/2020, Monday thru Friday, 2pm-6pm. Schedule is flexible; availability 5 afternoons a week is preferred but not required. .
- We are seeking candidates available for the full school year, but are willing to consider candidates with single-semester availability.
- The program schedule follows the NYC DOE School calendar, but will also provide full-day programming during select school vacations and closures. Teachers are welcome but not required to sign up to work during vacation programming.
- All staff, regardless of afterschool work schedule, must be available for orientation and training (school year start training is mornings Sept 3-5) and for 2-3 hours of staff meetings per month.
$80 – $110 per session ($20/hr plus $30 per lesson taught)
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com with an explanation of what draws you to the position. Please highlight which elements of your experience, skills, and background would make you a good fit for the job. After an initial phone call, please be prepared to meet in person and provide sample lessons and work references. Application deadline for school year start is August 28th, 2019