New York City Center seeks energetic, passionate musical theater teaching artists to join our existing team. Ideal candidates will have extensive arts education teaching experience in NYC schools, demonstrate mastery in musical theater, and work well in a collaborative teaching team.
Part-Time Teaching Artists’ (TAs) job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate Encores! In Schools Residencies and participate in Professional Development Sessions
- In School Workshops and Residencies range from 2-10 sessions.
- Professional Development Sessions take place at City Center annually
- Participate in annual Encores! curriculum development day, and work with City Center staff to develop season goals, themes, and curriculum
- Partner with teachers and other TAs to plan and develop lessons
- Participate in planning meetings, as needed
- Serve as a representative of City Center in NYC schools
- Expertise in musical theater as a director, choreographer, or musical director
- Minimum of three years teaching experience
- Extensive experience in NYC public schools
- Experience developing curriculum
- A flexible schedule and accountability necessary
Additional Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong collaborative skills
- A passion for arts-education
- Multi-lingual, a plus
Position Available: On a needs basis, determined by school registration and availability
Compensation: Wage varies based on work performed
How to Apply:
Interested Applicants should send a brief cover letter, a resume highlighting education experience, and a musical theater lesson plan in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Teaching Artist” in the subject line. Materials should be received no later than Monday, August 13.
Applicants must hold 10:00am-5:00pm on Wednesday, August 22 for auditions, but attendance will most likely not be required for the entire time. Applicants must also be available on Monday, September 17 from 11:00am-4:00pm to participate in City Center’s annual Encores! Curriculum Development Day.
The mission of City Center Education is to ignite an appreciation of the performing arts, cultivate the creative mind and create a culture of inquiry and exploration. Committed to drawing inspiration from works on the mainstage, City Center Education strives to provide innovative, accessible arts education to schools and communities across New York City.
New York City Center Encores! (Artistic Director Jack Viertel and Music Director Rob Berman), celebrates the rarely heard works of America’s most important composers and lyricists. Conceived in 1994 as concert performances, Encores! gives three glorious scores the chance to be heard as their creators originally intended.
City Center is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) based upon any protected characteristic. City Center does not discriminate for reasons of race, color, creed, religion, age, marital status, membership in a domestic partnership, veterans or uniform service member status, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic or national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, history of domestic violence or assault, caregiver status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state and local laws. City Center ensures equal and fair treatment of any employee or applicant with known mental or physical disabilities.