This position is responsible for overseeing the development of curriculum for all in-school programs and the cultivation of New York City Center’s teaching artist ensemble. In addition, the Education Manager manages both the administrative and creative apprenticeship programs. This position reports to the Director of Education & Community Engagement.
- Manage the development of curriculum alongside Teaching Artists, as well as content for all in-school programs including workshops, residencies, and professional development sessions.
- Manage the teaching artist ensemble for all programs, including conducting in-school observations and end-of-year feedback sessions.
- Oversee the development of study guides for each in-school program.
- Create surveys for each in-school program and collect/report on data.
- Foster relationships with school personnel and community groups to expand City Center Education’s programming throughout New York City.
- Oversee all aspects of Professional Development workshops in dance and musical theater including planning, materials and implementation on the day of the event.
- Manage all aspects of the administrative (fall/spring) and creative (summer) apprenticeship programs.
- Manage the application process including reviewing all applications and conducting first-round interviews.
- Develop curriculum including workshops, group projects, speakers, panels, alumni events, and off-site events.
- Oversee all scheduling and logistics in collaboration with departmental mentors.
- Lead weekly meetings.
- Liaise with staff mentors.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education and Community Engagement and the Assistant Director of Education to strategize around future program development.
- Supervise Education Apprentice.
- Work closely with the Director of Education and the Assistant Director of Education to develop clear departmental systems with regards to school partnerships, future programming and outreach.
- Work closely with the Director of Education and Assistant Director of Education to maintain program budgets including teaching artist payroll and quarterly reforecasting.
- Provide support with all marketing, design, and web-based Education tasks.
- Provide support with all Education & Community Engagement events.
- 3-5 years of professional level work in arts education and arts administration.
- BA in Theater or Dance Education, Arts Administration or Related Field or equivalent professional experience required, MA preferred.
- Experience with theater and/or dance education and familiarity with New York City Public Schools and the NYC Department of Education. Direct teaching experience preferred.
- Evidence of previous management experience and support of teaching artists and/or apprentices.
- New York State Teaching Certification or equivalent preferred, but not required.
- Passion for arts education.
- Strong people skills, able to communicate effectively with students, educators, parents, artists, and arts education professionals.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and writing skills.
- Sense of humor and adaptability.
- Computer software skills: Microsoft Suite, Google Suite. Experience with Adobe Suite, Tessitura, Formsite, and/or Wordfly preferred.
- Photo/video skills a plus.
- Flexibility to work occasional evening and weekend hours as needed.
Please email a resume and cover letter as a pdf file to email@example.com listing “Education Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.