The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a Music Director/Teaching Artist who will, under the supervision of the Director of Community Arts, will lead, teach, and instruct youth (ages 6–12, and teens in music, singing, and lead the musical direction for Kids Company Production program.
- Provide program participants assigned a fun, safe, and healthy learning environment that encourages participation.
- Supervise participants, and ensure all participants have beneficial and enjoyable experiences.
- Ability to teach sessions at set length on set days/times.
- Demonstrate mastery of music/singing content.
- Actively recruit for classes.
- Display evidence of teacher preparation, and understanding of age-appropriate material and approach.
- Adapt music to support participants’ singing level, and assemble final orchestrations.
- Lead pit orchestra, conduct and play during shows.
- Make clear, practical demonstrations of class material.
- Plan activities that inspire organized, safe, and active participation.
- Plan activities that are exciting, challenging and value based.
- Fill out incident reports correctly, as needed.
- Respect and follow rules for use of YMCA rooms and equipment.
- Meet departmental deadlines.
- Adhere to all YMCA youth policies and program standards.
- Observe the YMCA Code of Conduct and Core Values.
- Understand and exhibit YMCA mission.
- Attend Community Arts Professional Development and collaborates with Community Arts Director and other Teaching Artists to support special events as well as West Side YMCA community and program development.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of two years of music and musical theater training; Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience teaching in comparable environment and age groups.
- Extensive experience as a musical director for youth in similar populations.
- Excellent classroom management.
- Diverse musical background a plus.
- A positive attitude.
- Works well with students – exhibits patience, warmth, passion, & respect.
- Enthusiasm for piano, vocals, musical theater, music, movement, and artistic collaboration.
- Excellent people/customer service/networking skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Music Director/Teaching Artist” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
West Side YMCA
Attn.: Cassandra Richards
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.