Creative Art Works is (“CAW”) a 32-year-old creative youth development nonprofit. We improve the lives of thousands of under- resourced youth aged 4-24 each year through in-school and out-of-school-time classes, community art-making events, and our renowned public art youth employment program. Working in underserved neighborhoods of NYC, in public schools, community centers, juvenile detention centers, parks and libraries, CAW provides dynamic arts experiences for youth who otherwise lack access. Our programs build confidence, unlock a love of learning, and teach valuable technical, developmental, life and job skills, all while creating profound connections between our young constituents, their art, and their communities.
Creative Art Works seeks talented muralists with teaching experience for summer opportunities in our Public Art Youth Employ- ment Program. Successful candidates will demonstrate strong professional, experience teaching/mentoring teens and/or young adults in mural creation, and will possess a passion for youth development. Experience working with at-risk youth, underserved communities, in social or restorative justice, and/or workforce development a plus. Those with a strong portfolio and less teach- ing/youth development experience (or vice versa) will be given consideration as a Teaching Artist Assistant.
• Commit to the duration of the program (6-7 weeks intensive summer schedule from early July through mid-August).
• Lead a team of approximately 18 teens/young adults through the mural creation process, from initial concept development, including community outreach, through design presentation, execution and public unveiling, while teaching technical art and design skills along with basic workplace expectations.
• Collaborate with program and executive management staff to implement programs and develop designs.
• Represent Creative Art Works in interactions with program partners and other stakeholders.
• Embrace the role of mentor and model respectful communication and workplace standards with youth employees/apprentices.
• Participate in professional development sessions.
• Deliver accurate and timely documentation, including time sheets, site documentation, evaluations and assessments, etc., as required.
• Commit to the artistic process as a vehicle for youth development.
• Manage coordination of worksite with support of CAW staff.
• BA/BFA in Arts, Education or a related field required.
• Large-scale public art experience or fine arts training, specifically painting, required. Evidence of strong design skills a plus.
• Experience teaching, in either school or community-based settings, also required; portfolio of youth-created or community-based work a strong plus.
- Willingness to travel within New York City
Creative Art Works offers competitive pay including compensation for design, prep time, lesson planning, staff coordination and professional development. All offers are conditional pending background check, fingerprinting and references, satisfactory to CAW.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
English required, Spanish a plus
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
How to apply
Please submit cover letter, résumé, portfolio and URL (if available) via e-mail to email@example.com
with “[Your Name]: Muralist/Teaching Artist” in the subject line.