Professional Development Specialist
Reports to: Director of Education
Status: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Location: Marquis Studios’ new office – DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY
About Marquis Studios:
Marquis Studios inspires a passion for learning by bringing the arts into schools and empowering students to achieve their full potential. We offer a full spectrum of residencies that encourage student exploration of visual arts, theater, music, dance, architecture, media arts, circus arts and puppetry. Our team of Teaching Artists serve more than 40,000 students annually from pre-K through high school in more than 150 NYC public schools in all five boroughs. Approximately 80 percent of our programs serve young people living at or below the federal poverty line, and more than 50 percent of all grant-funded programming is delivered in classrooms serving students with disabilities. Marquis Studios is recognized by the National Endowment for the Arts and has been deemed the Kennedy Center VSA NYC Affiliate. The Professional Development Specialist will join a team of a dozen mission-driven administrative staff, 90+ experienced Teaching Artists, and 20+ passionate Teaching Assistants who are dedicated to continuing the non-profit’s 41-year old legacy.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, active educator of youth and adults, looking to fulfill an administrative leadership role at a leading arts education non-profit. The Professional Development Specialist will ensure that Marquis Studios’ Teaching Artists are given access and opportunity to excellent professional development in both skills-based and pedagogy-based subjects as they relate to arts education. We believe in the ongoing support and development of our staff. The person in this position will be challenged to create opportunities to explore relevant topics with our Teaching Artists and keep them informed of professional development opportunities in the NYC arts education community. In collaboration with the Director of Education, the Professional Development Specialist will assist with identifying Teaching Artist needs, planning and executing trainings and workshops, and supporting Marquis Studios’ recently-launched Teaching Artist Advisory Board. This could be a wonderful opportunity for a Teaching Artist and skilled facilitator who is ready to take on a management role.
• Train and professionally develop all new Teaching Artists (TAs).
• Deliver ongoing assessment and professional development of current staff of TAs.
• Design and execute Marquis Studios’ professional development programs, such as semi-annual organizational meetings and monthly in-house professional development workshops/trainings.
- Oversee, manage and facilitate the annual Teaching Artist Training Program (TATI), a six-week training for arts educators working with students with special needs.
- Liaise with Teaching Artist Project Cohort (TAP) through The Community Word Project.
- Represent Marquis Studios at the Face to Face Conference and other external conference opportunities.
• Communicate with all internal departments and TAs in an effective and timely manner.
• Keep staff updated on trends in arts education alongside the Director of Education.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BFA) required, MA or MFA preferred
- At least 3 years of experience working in the NYC Arts Education community
- At least 5 years of experience working as a Teaching Artist (any arts discipline)
- Experience working with and leading a team of arts educators a plus
- Experience working with special needs populations
• Strong inter-personal, collaboration and teambuilding skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong problem-solving skills, along with an ability to handle multiple priorities
• Ability to work in an open office environment
- Ability to work independently and manage own workload
Inquiries: Email your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter to Jobs@MarquisStudios.org; Subject line “Professional Development Specialist”. No calls please. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Application Deadline Date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interviewing priority will be given to candidates who apply before Friday, August 24, 2018.
Ideal Start Date: mid-September 2018
Marquis Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to seeking a diverse staff with respect to gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, class, educational background, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. All applicants are welcome.