Casita Maria has an exciting opportunity for talented, engaging, and dynamic Teaching Artists to lead successful programming as a joint effort between Casita’s Education & Creative Arts Departments. Most programs will integrate K-12th grade students/artist-led projects as part of an arts and education focused after school program.
Most programs are interdisciplinary and offer youth a wide range of skills to learn and/or develop. The curriculum used promotes engagement with the Arts / STEAM / CORE needs and aligns with NYC Department of Education Arts Blueprint targets, and the NYS Common Core Standards. The main responsibility of the teaching artist is to introduce participants to all aspects and variations of the specific discipline being taught ex. dance, visual art, music (violin, piano), musical theater, improv, etc.
- Implement curriculum and lessons plans, projects; using the NYC Department of Education Targets/NYS Common Core Standard
- Ability to teach hands-on experiential learning style and inspire students to reach for higher level outcomes while working in collaboration with Site Director, and Program Arts Manager to support front-line staff (Group Leaders and Activity Specialists) in the delivery of Literacy-based curricula and thematic projects
- Maintain a structured classroom environment that is conducive to promoting learning.
- The program and activities are designed to help promote and foster the educational, social, physical, intellectual, emotional, vocational and professional growth among all participants.
- Promote interest and participation in the art program; establish and implement a process for orienting new members to this program area.
- Prepare students for public showcase designed by instructor and other public programs or performances.
- Attend paid periodic professional development workshops and required meetings as necessary.
- Handle all administrative aspects of program as outlined by the Education Department.
- Ability to adapt to a specialized instruction school environment.
- Submit all lessons plans in advance.
- Maintain clear safety protocols as per the design of the program.
- Share enthusiasm and passion about their modality of art.
- The ideal candidate will possess an MFA or a degree in a related field preferably Education, NYS certified, and two years of teaching experience in a classroom setting; or a Bachelor’s Degree, Teaching Certification and five years of teaching experience
- Experienced at guiding students to full-scale culminating presentations
- Experience working with economically and educationally disadvantaged youth with a sound understanding of the social and cultural issues facing urban families.
- Experience and/or willingness to work with children with educational or emotional special needs; Experience working with children of multiple intelligences and differentiated learning styles.
- Allow students to “share out” what they have learned and reflect on their learning at each workshop
- Ability to build self-esteem in students in order to feel empowered while performing in front of an audience. The teaching artist is also encouraged to guide participants towards mid-year and end-of-year productions plus participation in special events.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Enjoy working with children with an understanding of youth development
- Demonstrated experience working with K-12 students
- Strong teaching and group facilitation skills
- Expertise in developing art curriculum for young people
- Have strong organizational skills and a flexible attitude
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, arts and education-focused environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to work collaboratively, quickly and under pressure with a sense of humor
- Highly motivated, detail oriented, ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks
- Integrity, professional discretion and professionalism
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Works in a classroom environment
- Frequently stands for long periods of time
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard
- May require occasional sitting, walking, lifting, stooping, and bending
- May require walking up flights of stairs
- Medical insurance, which is provided through the Archdiocese of NY. You will become eligible on the first of the month following one month of employment.
- Twenty vacation days which are earned at the rate of 1 2/3 per month. Up to 10 days can be carried into the next fiscal year but must be taken by December 31st.
- Eleven holidays.
- Twelve sick days which are earned at the rate of one per month.
- A Pension Plan (through the Archdiocese of NY) that is employer contributions only.
- A 403(b) plan that is employee contributions only.
- A pre-tax healthcare flexible spending account and pre-tax commuter benefits.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Send a Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com Subject Line: Literacy Arts Teaching Artist