The YMCA of Greater New York reaches half a million New Yorkers through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Flushing YMCA is seeking a qualified individual to develop and lead engaging graphic design classes for children. The Graphic Arts Instructure will introduce opportunities to explore creativity and teach children how to tell stories using illustrations, images and drawing. The Graphic Arts Instructor will facilitate cartooning classes that are educational, dynamic and safe for children ages 5-12 years old.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and demonstrate engaging, lively and educational 45 minute – 1 hour long classes.
- Teach children about an array of art mediums through youth development activities.
- Program weekly graphic arts and cartooning classes.
- Accompany children in learning about supplies and techniques.
- Work with the Director to order and maintain all equipment and supplies needed for class.
- Work with the Director to develop a curriculum of age-appropriate activities and art themes.
- Lead participants through skills that will enhance creativity and imagination.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident reports, attendance, etc.).
- Meet and relate with participants and parents in a friendly helpful way.
- Uphold the YMCA’s standards, guidelines and mission.
- Provide lesson plans on a monthly schedule and as needed.
- Teach class to full capacity (at least 8 children) and assist in recruiting and outreach efforts.
- BA / BS degree in art, art education or a related field.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth.
- Experience working in youth development context with graphic arts and cartooning activities.
- Knowledge of youth development art practices.
- Ability to work with parents and children.
- Ability to work closely with co-workers and Director to provide the best support for their weekly themes and events.
- Creativity and flexibility is a must.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our leadership team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Graphic Arts Instructor” to email@example.com to:
Attn.: Sunaina Rao
138-46 Northern Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11354
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED