The Children’s Museum of Manhattan is dedicated to inspiring children and families to learn about themselves and our culturally diverse world through a unique environment of interactive exhibitions and programs. The Children’s Museum serves more than 20,000 students each year through our Museum-based guided group visits and community outreach in classrooms, libraries, hospitals, and shelters. The School Programs Department is a leading partner among City agencies, designing curriculum, professional development, and family programming for diverse audiences. The Museum is known as a leader in innovative, research-driven early childhood exhibits and classes.
The Children’s Museum of Manhattan seeks an enthusiastic, creative, and highly organized individual to manage the design and implementation of this work. The School Programs Manager will report to the Director of School Programs & Community Outreach, and will manage departmental administration and logistics; lead professional development workshops; develop partnerships with community organizations, school leaders, and families; oversee our cohort of part-time educators; and develop curricula.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee on-site Early Childhood Program including: management and scheduling of Community Educators, creation of semester class schedules, growth of program, curriculum oversight, and sales.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of school programs including: on-site guided group visits, in-school residency programs, and professional development.
- Liaise with community partners, including teachers, school leaders, representatives from family homeless shelters, libraries, performers, city agency partners, etc.
- Design new programs and arts-based curricula for implementation at the Museum and in the community.
- Develop and facilitate interactive professional development workshops.
- Partner with the Exhibitions and Public Programs departments to ensure high quality educational experiences for CMOM’s constituents.
- Collaborate with the Museum’s Graphics and Communications teams to develop printed and online marketing material for school and early childhood programs.
- Project manage grant-based work including: writing program narratives, creating budgets, program implementation, data collection, and reporting.
- Hire and manage approximately 20 part-time Museum educators.
- Manage administrative tasks including payroll, invoices, room reservations, booking confirmations, and weekly staffing assignments.
- Teach in Museum and community settings as needed.
- Maintain the materials inventory for all departmental initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Museum Studies, Arts Education, Child Development, or related field; Masters preferred.
- At least four years’ experience working in museums or arts education in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated competency in early childhood education, science, literacy and/or visual arts with children from birth to age 10 and their families.
- Working knowledge of New York City agencies that serve children, including DOE and ACS.
- Experience developing and implementing lesson plans, as well as maintaining program budgets.
- Experience mentoring educators and staff who are early in their career.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, including an ability to multitask and proactively follow through on projects.
- Proven ability to work independently and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong sense of humor!
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Submit resume and letter of interest to: Nellie A.V. Chaban, Director of School Programs & Community Outreach email@example.com
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we are unable to acknowledge every application. Please bear in mind that if you are selected for an interview we will contact you directly using the methods you provide in your application. However, if we think that your skills and qualifications may be suitable for other similar positions we may hold your details on our database and contact you in the future. No phone calls please.