Teachers & Writers Collaborative (T&W), a fifty-year-old literary education organization based in New York City, seeks a visionary, hardworking, resourceful, and collaborative leader to serve as its next Executive Director (ED). The ED serves as the chief executive officer of the organization, responsible for the supervision of educational programs, publications, operations, finance, and development. The ED reports to the Board of Directors, developing strategic plans to expand access to creative writing residencies and publications, to raise money from institutions and individual donors to support these goals, and to support a diverse and vibrant roster of teaching artists.
About Teachers & Writers Collaborative
T&W was founded in 1967 by a group of writers and educators who believed that professional writers could make a unique contribution to the teaching of writing and literature. Those responsible for shaping T&W’s program and philosophy in the organization’s early years included June Jordan, Rosellen Brown, Victor Hernández Cruz, Kenneth Koch, Herbert Kohl, Phillip Lopate, Grace Paley, Muriel Rukeyser, Anne Sexton, and Robert Silvers. Since its founding, T&W has published more than 80 books about teaching writing. T&W writers have brought writing residencies and professional development workshops to 760,000 students and 26,000 teachers in New York City schools.
The New Executive Director
The new ED will be a dynamic, energetic leader who can bridge the worlds of literature and the classroom, who can manage and oversee all T&W’s work, and who can develop a growth strategy for T&W as it enters its next decade. The new ED will have knowledge of education issues, particularly those affecting K-12 public schools in New York City, and familiarity with the literary world, including factors affecting small independent publishers. The director will have strong management, written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Managerial: Develop a forward-looking vision for a fifty-year-old artists-in-the-schools organization; represent T&W in the literary arts and education communities; determine optimal staffing structure; hire and supervise staff; and develop and recommend policies to the Board of Directors.
- Educational: Oversee T&W’s creative writing programs in schools and community organizations; and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal requirements.
- Financial: Work with staff to develop and monitor annual budget; ensure appropriate management of T&W finances; carry out fundraising mailings and events; and review and sign contracts on behalf of T&W.
- Editorial: Partner with contract contributors and editors to publish books about creative writing education; and serve as managing editor of Teachers & Writers Magazine.
- BA plus 10-12 years of experience or MA plus 8-10 years of experience
- Experience in nonprofit management, program development, fundraising, financial
- Paid annual and personal leave
- Health, dental, and life insurance
Applications are due February 1, 2019. Send cover letter, cv/résumé, and names and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In principle and in practice, Teachers & Writers Collaborative values diversity and seeks to be an inclusive organization. We are committed to identifying, naming, and removing barriers that prevent an individual or group of individuals from involvement in our work.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative
540 President Street, 3rd Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11215