Mission Statement: Growing Up Green Charter School empowers children to be conscious, contributing members of their community through a rigorous curriculum and an engaging green culture. Graduates of GUGCS will be prepared to attend high-performing schools where their interdisciplinary academic foundation, knowledge of sustainability, and strong sense of self sets them apart as leaders of the future.
● Collaborate with grade team to integrate curriculum across subject areas
● Implement Responsive Classroom management strategies to promote classroom community and to value each student as vital part of the class
● Employ a blend of both direct instruction and collaborative, constructivist approaches to meet the needs of all learners
● Adhere to the GUGCS Pacing Calendar and Scope and Sequence
● Maintain organized records of anecdotal notes and assessments
● Employ approaches that address multiples type of learners (visual, sensory, kinesthetic, audio)
● Emphasize that all students are capable and should be treated with high expectations, both behaviorally and academically
● Uphold school wide policy of logical consequences
● Value and promote peaceful conflict resolution and creative and authentic problem solving
● Participate in grade team and curricular planning meetings
● Create and maintain an engaging and organized physical classroom environment, making learning accessible to all students
● Establish and maintain ongoing positive relationships with families
● Actively participate in school community through weekly faculty & staff meetings, professional development opportunities, staff committees, school events, etc.
● Work with instructional coach on specific goals throughout the year
● Respond productively to ongoing, year-round professional feedback
● Work closely with Special Education department (learning specialists, interventionists, service providers) to best support student learning
● Use weekly lesson plans to help drive instruction in a clear manner
● Demonstrate commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at-risk
● Strong commitment to Growing Up Green Charter School’s mission and green theme
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team of teachers
● Knowledge of Responsive Classroom
● Experience in environmental education a plus
● Ability in integrating technology into teaching
● Excellent organizational skills
● Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
● At least one year classroom teaching experience in the elementary grades
Required Certificates & Licenses:
● Teaching certification
● NYC DOE/Fingerprinting & Background Clearance
HOW TO APPLY
How to apply
Growing Up Green is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and value a diverse workforce, and we seek diversity among applicants for this position.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, attention School Leader, to the address below. In your cover letter please address the following questions:
● What prior experiences qualify you for this position?
● What experience, if any, do you have with green principles and sustainability?
Please write in the subject line: Music Teacher or Art Teacher or PE Teacher
Growing Up Green Charter School II
Attention: School Leader
84-35 152nd Street
Jamaica, NY 11432
ONLINE: Please follow this link to apply online.
For more information about our school, please check our website: www.gugcs.org
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED