ArtsPool, a cooperative service organization providing radically affordable nonprofit financial management, workforce administration, and compliance, seeks a qualified individual to support a growing member base of nonprofit arts organizations. Startup meets social venture, the ArtsPool model is a unique, alternative solution to the lack of staffing capacity in nonprofits. ArtsPool is seeking a Manager to take a leadership role on our growing Workforce Administration team from our bright and colorful office in Brooklyn.
Your comfort with payroll, insurance, and labor regulations is matched with a passion for helping nonprofits and artists to thrive. You have extensive experience in running complex payroll, setting up time and attendance tracking, processing withholding tax payments, and managing deductions. You’ve dug into the details of more than one payroll processing system, and you are open to learning new systems and tools. You love the arts and understand workforce administration as a critical part of making art happen. You are able to prioritize multiple projects and meet ongoing deadlines. You communicate clearly and patiently with clients and colleagues. You enjoy doing pivotal work as part of a larger system, making things easier for those you serve through efficiency and clarity. You are rigorous by nature but have a sense of perspective and humor when things get real.
- Participate on the workforce management team to improve service delivery systems design + training, and ensure quality control
- Process payroll for member companies in coordination with bookkeepers (time entry) and budget managers (payroll allocations)
- Set up and maintain payroll systems and records for member companies
- Provide quality control and review, including escalation to legal review as required, for questions that arise relating to workforce compliance for ArtsPool members including classification of employees vs contractors, payroll tax filings, error prevention and correction, etc.
- Manage onboarding and offboarding process for member employees including offer/termination letters, benefits coordination, status tracking, etc.
- Supervise part-time workforce support staff in the onboarding of new employees for member companies and related reporting of new hires to New York State
- Assist members in coordination of statutory workforce insurance and related reported (i.e. Unemployment, Disability, and Workers’ Compensation coverages)
- Provide operational comments on Member Employee Handbooks and assist in facilitating legal review and board approval of Handbook in coordination with ArtsPool’s Compliance Team
- Prepare annual workforce tax materials for employees (W-2s) and contractors (1099s)
- Provide payroll reports and related data for annual audits and tax returns, as requested by member auditors, insurance carriers, and occasionally the Department of Labor
- Participate in new member onboarding, including workforce systems review, payroll data migration, new systems setup, and member training
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Deep understanding of nonprofits (financial structure, programmatic needs, and operating behaviors)
- Ability to work with many types of members and personalities, ranging from small artist-run companies to mid-sized institutions
- Significant experience with payroll processing and related tax reporting
- Significant experience with labor compliance issues, benefits administration, HR matters resolution and best practices
- Openness to and facility with web-based systems and software
- Experience with Xero Accounting and Google Apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Gmail, etc) a plus
- Familiarity with payroll rules relating to theatrical unions and experience with QuickBooks/Intuit, ADP, Paychex, and other payroll systems a plus
- Comfort and experience with developing and maintaining complex spreadsheets, and mapping time data (i.e. pay periods, work periods, payment dates, tax periods, etc)
- Independent, self-motivated problem solver who can make suggestions and work with the team to develop and implement system improvements
- Able to meet continuous deadlines, work autonomously, as well as with a team, and willing to work beyond scope when needed
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. ArtsPool is an equal opportunity employer.
Health and Dental benefits provided