Teaching Artist – Music
Symphony Space is a multi-disciplinary performing arts center where bold programming, presented in a uniquely warm and welcoming environment, forges indelible relationships between artists and audiences. Our fundamental mission is to connect art, ideas, and community through our programs and our commitment to literacy and education through the arts. On our New York City stages, through our national radio broadcasts, and in the classrooms and communities we serve throughout the country, we foster access to the arts through all disciplines.
Symphony Space’s Global Arts: Cultural Literacy & Heritage Program honors diverse voices and experiences, builds a stronger and more unified community, and introduces thousands of children to world culture through experiential learning. All Write! our adult literacy program brings the power and beauty of literature and creative writing to adult learners across the City.
About the job
Symphony Space is seeking Music Teaching Artists with a background in arts integration, and working with students on the autism spectrum as part of a four-year federally funded grant program.
- Thorough experience developing and implementing arts education residencies
- A minimum of two years’ experience working with students with special needs
- Experience teaching English Language Arts (ELA) and math through music
- Experience with differentiated learning lesson planning and implementation
- Experience coaching classroom teachers who are trying out music-related lessons
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Excellent speaking, listening, and writing skills
- Familiarity with the NYSED Learning Standards and the Common Core.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Commit to all assigned sessions within the school year, including training, coaching and planning sessions
- Develop and plan, with classroom teachers, a 7-session residency focused on teaching ELA through music, and a 7-session residency on teaching math through music
- Create a replicable lesson plan for each workshop and each grade level
- Provide administrative documentation as needed and abide by all deadlines
Please mail cover letter, resume, and sample lesson plan to Madeline Cohen, email@example.com with “Music TA” in the subject line. Potential candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.