St. Nicks Alliance (SNA) is a nonprofit, nonsectarian community-based organization founded in 1975 with the mission to transform lives through employment, education, housing and health care, delivering impactful services to children, adults and the elderly with the help of our strategic partners. Each year, SNA’s Youth and Education Division helps transform the lives of thousands of North Brooklyn children and youth, ages 2-24, through extensive afterschool, summer and teen programs. Together, we provide a pipeline of services that promote socio-emotional development, creativity, academic success and post-secondary readiness. The visual, performing and digital arts are a vital component of our work across all age groups.
The Arts Education Manager will be responsible for supporting theme-based arts education across all afterschool centers as well as targeted schoolday courses. The Arts Education Manager is responsible for hiring and training 40 teaching artists and external partnerships with external arts organizations, as well as coordinating artist teaching schedules. Through professional development workshops and coaching sessions, the Arts Education Manager assists artists with the development and implementation of curriculum and lesson plans that support a cycle of four annual Interdisciplinary Thematic Units. TheThematic Units combine literacy and STEM with arts learning in visual, performing and digit arts.
The position reports to the Associate Director of Education, and will work closely with the Deputy Directors, Program Directors, artists, youth workers and external partners to bring diverse arts experiences to children and youth.
The ideal candidate must be a strong, empathetic relationship builder and a proven self-starter with an arts education background and great organizational skills.
- Build and support a growing roster of 40+ artists in visual, performing, digital, fashion and culinary arts
- Coordinate external arts partnerships with arts organizations to supplement our internal artist roster
- Work with program directors to plan and schedule artists residencies, most of which are year-round.
- Create professional development opportunities (curriculum workshops, coaching, site visits, etc.) that support artists
- Serve as a positive role model for participants by demonstrating professional language and behavior
- Complete hiring paperwork and clearances for all artists
Curriculum and Lesson Planning
- Assist artists to plan age-appropriate arts curriculum and lessons related to Interdisciplinary Thematic Units in K-8.
- Plan Youth Arts Portfolio courses for middle and high school students, that support their interest and application to arts-centered high schools or college
- Recommend appropriate field trip opportunities
- Support the application of youth development principles to enhance curriculum, lessons, program quality and the growth of young people
- Manage special projects, as needed
- Source and purchase authentic art supplies, staying within budgets
- Work with program directors and business manager to maximize arts education budgets
- Design graphics and marketing materials, as needed, with the help of interns
- Uphold all safety standards and procedures
- Actively participate in training and professional development to continuously improve on quality
- Other responsibilities, as assigned or as appropriate
- Min. Bachelor’s degree in visual, performing or digital arts; understanding of diverse art forms a plus
- Min. 3 years administrative experience, preferably working with teaching artists.
- Min. 3 years teaching experience, preferably working with children and teens in afterschool settings.
- Compliance with School Age Child Care (SACC) requirements, including background check and medical clearances.
- A sound understanding of English; bilingual abilities a plus
- Ability to be collaborative, patient and empathetic with diverse personalities
- Excellent organizational, planning and creative problem-solving skills
- Enthusiastic Self-starter with numeracy skills who learns quickly
- A genuine enthusiasm for developing professional skills