Art has brought out my students’ personalities. The students who did not communicate are now openly communicating with us, not only about art but about anything and everything. – Jillian Palmeri, Teacher, District 29 Pre-K Center, Queens
Join an inspiring community of visual artists committed to teaching!
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis from April 26 to July 1, 2019.
Studio in a School NYC, LLC is hiring practicing visual artists, preferably with some experience working with young people (3K-high school), for part-time contractual teaching positions in public schools, early education centers, and other community based organizations throughout New York City.
Artist Instructors will join a team of over 100 dedicated artists who provide visual arts instruction in drawing, painting, collage, printmaking, sculpture and digital media. Together, we work with diverse communities across the city, offering art education experiences in schools that often do not have an art teacher.
Artist Instructors collaborate with classroom teachers to lead art lessons in all five boroughs. Artists may work in multiple programs from one to four days per week throughout the academic school year. Goals, responsibilities, and duration of teaching assignments vary by program.
For more information about Studio’s programs, visit http://studioinaschool.org/programs/.
Who and what we are looking for:
- Active professional visual art practice with an exhibition history (this may include exhibitions you participated in as a student)
- Foundational skills in painting, drawing, and sculpture
- Interest in teaching many different media including painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, printmaking, 2-D graphic design, and digital media
- Interest in writing lesson plans and curricula
- Interest in working with young people; preference is given to candidates with demonstrated ability to teach children and teens
- Respect for and celebration of diversity and diverse communities
- Ability to collaborate and work with teachers, administrators, and parents
- Strong communication and organizational skills for tasks such as record keeping, ordering supplies, and email correspondence
- Interest in and availability for ongoing New Artist training
How to Apply:
To complete the online form click here.
To submit the form, you will need to include a resume featuring your exhibition history, teaching experience, and training in visual art. We also ask that you submit a cover letter telling us why you would like to work with us.
Please do not send images. We will ask for images later in the hiring process.
No phone calls please. Due to the very high volume of applications, we will only be reaching out to applicants we are inviting to interviews.
About Studio in a School NYC, LLC
For over 40 years, Studio in a School has collaborated with the New York City Department of Education, early childhood education centers, and other community-based organizations to bring high quality visual arts experiences to students and teachers. Studio is a not-for-profit arts organization that places professional visual artists at partner schools and sites to engage and instruct children, teenagers, classroom teachers, and families in collage, painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, 2-D graphic design and digital media.
Studio in a School NYC, LLC seeks to hire staff reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at Studio in a School are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.