For over 50 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of children who have experienced academic difficulty as a result of a language-based learning disability (dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, visual-spatial or auditory processing difficulties, and/or gross and fine motor coordination issues. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway enrolls 160 students between the ages of 5-14 in a Lower School and Middle School. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream school and life.
We seek a part-time Art Teacher with digital arts and photography experience to teach traditional visual arts and digital arts classes for Lower School and Middle School students. The part-time Art Teacher will develop curriculum in the digital arts including photography, animation and film projects, while collaborating with the full time Art Teacher.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art Education, BFA or related field required.
- Master’s degree in Art Education, MFA or related field preferred.
- Experience teaching both digital arts and traditional visual arts such as drawing, painting and sculpture. Ceramics background a plus.
- Independent school experience preferred
- Strong classroom management, communication and organizational skills
- Enthusiasm for learning and joining a creative, devoted team of educators
The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are required to submit a resume, cover letter, and two reference letters. Please submit by email to: Posting160@gatewayschool.org and indicate position of interest in the email subject line.