Classification: Institutional Support Associate (Corporate, Foundation, and Government Fundraising)
Last Revision: January 30, 2018
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The mission of American Ballet Theatre is to create, to present, to preserve, and to extend the
great repertoire of classical dancing, through exciting performances and educational
programming of the highest quality, presented to the widest possible audience.
American Ballet Theatre (ABT) is recognized as one of the great dance companies in the world.
Few ballet companies equal ABT for its combination of size, scope, and outreach. Recognized as
a living national treasure since its founding in 1940, ABT is the only major cultural institution
that annually tours the United States, performing for more than 450,000 people. Over its 77-
year history, the Company has also performed in a total of 139 cities around the world. In 2006,
by an act of Congress, American Ballet Theatre became America’s National Ballet Company®.
When American Ballet Theatre was launched, the aim was to develop a repertoire of the best
ballets from the past, and to encourage the creation of new works by gifted young
choreographers, wherever they might be found. In October 1992, former American Ballet
Theatre Principal Dancer, Kevin McKenzie, was appointed Artistic Director. McKenzie is
committed to maintaining the Company’s vast repertoire, engaging the leading choreographers
of our time to create exciting new work, and to bringing the art of dance theater to the great
stages of the world.
The Institutional Support Associate assists with the management of all aspects of raising funds from corporate, foundation, and government sources; cultivates and stewards effective relationships with the institutional donor community and the artistic, education, and finance staff to promote and expand ABT activities; and helps to seek new sources of institutional funding, including corporate sponsorship.
· Assists with the implementation of the institutional fundraising strategy and process by drafting grant applications and sponsorship proposals, ensuring timely gift acknowledgements, and tendering required reports.
· Coordinates the involvement of other departments in the institutional fundraising process.
· Works with the Associate Director, Institutional Support and Special Campaigns to research and identify new sources of support
· Maintains effective relations with key institutional contacts and prospects.
· Manages fulfillment of donor benefits.
· Tracks and reports on the status and progress of pending institutional requests.
· Assists the Associate Director, Institutional Support and Special Campaigns with written communications.
· Participates in department-wide activities such as cultivation and fundraising events.
· Helps manage and supervise an Institutional Support intern.
· Helps maintain and update donor and prospect database.[KMB1]
· Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 2-3 years of experience in not-for-profit fundraising and development required.
- Must have knowledge of general fundraising principles, including the solicitation of corporate, foundation, and government grants.
- Must be familiar with prospect research tools.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and an exceptional capacity for detail are required.
- Ability to manage and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work collegially across departments and across the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and have an energetic, proactive, optimistic collaborative, “roll-up-your-sleeves” approach to work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point are required.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge is highly desirable.
- Some weekend and evening hours are required, especially during performance seasons.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Associate Director, Institutional Support and Special Campaigns
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, résumé, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line “Institutional Support Associate.” No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Please include your desired salary range in your cover letter.**