The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will assist in the successful operation of toddler program. The Activity Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school aged children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction and academic / personal growth. Specifically, the incumbent will prepare and provide age-appropriate dance instructions for grades K – 5th.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of performing arts.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of performing arts, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with After-School Counselor, professional staff, teachers and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in / out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
- Work with the Site Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for dance activities.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After-School program to staff, participants, and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for dance activities.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations and regulations.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent; coursework and formal education in Performing Arts preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth, specifically in the area of performing arts.
- Formal certification in dance required.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist – Dance” to email@example.com or to:
West Side YMCA
Attn.: Marilyn Tineo
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.